Jails - iocage vs warden

Status
Not open for further replies.

cods4

Dabbler
I am migrating my data to a new system with new pools and I want to create new jails for all my programs (Plex, nextcloud, nzbget, couchpotato, transmission, sonarr). I see on the manual that Freenas will be transitioning to iocage in 11.2.

My question is, can I set up these new jails with iocage now, or will any new jails a create still be warden based, meaning I will need to convert them to iocage at a later date/rebuild them again?

kdragon75

Wizard
Old UI will yield warden jails, conversely, the new UI will yield IOcage jails. There is/will be a script to convert from warden to IOcage.
EDIT: Also worth noting is that the IOcage jails will not be visible in the new UI. The inverse is also true.
CORRECTION: Also worth noting is that the Warden jails will not be visible in the new UI. The inverse is also true.

Last edited by a moderator:

cods4

Dabbler
Thanks for the reply

If I create the jails in the new UI under IOcage are the actual jails likely to be any less stable than warden jails? Or is it just the management system that is different and possibly less stable? I.e will they behave the same way if I just use ssh to set them up?

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
EDIT: Also worth noting is that the IOcage jails will not be visible in the new UI.
That's not true. This has been functioning in the nightlies for some time now.
I.e will they behave the same way if I just use ssh to set them up?
Yes. You can create your jails via the CLI, the new UI in it's current form in the stable release is not ready for jail creation and management. Search the forum, there are plenty of users running iocage jails with very few issues.

kdragon75

Wizard
Wow I wrote that backwards...

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Wow I wrote that backwards...
Made it a little bit clearer. The strikethrough option is hidden away in the text box-looking button.

pschatz100

Guru
I would update to FreeNAS 11.1u4 if you are not already on that version. It has the best implementation of iocage, so far. As @Jailer commented, create them in the CLI. It is not difficult to do. Just make certain you read through the latest version of the iocage documentation - there are some old versions of the documentation floating around, and there have been some updates to the way things work, so be aware.

The new FreeNAS UI does see the jails when created manually, which is useful. But, as has been pointed out, there are still some issues with managing the jails from the UI.

raidflex

Guru
Until 11.2 final is out I really wouldn't trust the UI for managing/creating any IOCAGE jails. Most UI functions are either flaky or do not work from my experience. I have had no issues though managing it through the terminal. The biggest hurdle you may encounter will be with setting up bridges and Vnet, but Vnet is not needed for most jails. In fact Plex was the only jail that I use that required it to function properly. Other then that, managing IOCAGE through the terminal is pretty painless. Use the below link to help you setup the networking portion properly. Setting up the tunables from this documentation will help.

https://iocage.readthedocs.io/en/latest/networking.html

Status
Not open for further replies.