Issues with HP Proliant DL380 G6 truenas wont start after installation

kiilller97

Cadet
Hi

today i injstalled truenas on my proliant
everything worked good all drives are shown during installation.
i installed two times on two drives but after restart no drive is bootable
first i installed on the 2 drives redundant on 9300 hba and wont boot after plugin off the usb
second i installed on the hp raid controller on 250gb virtual drive but also no boot after
i set both times the correct controller as boot device but cant choose in bios the drive to boot from just the controller.

the specs of my proliant are:
2x X5645
56gb ram
1x sas 9300-i8
1x hp 940-i8
8 drives on 9300
4 drives on 940 with raid 0 first drive 3x300gb second 1x250gb(both shown in truenas installation)

please i need help with setting up correctly
and please dont be rude with my bad english im an german potato :D

Arwen

MVP
Welcome to the forums!

First off, if you truly have a hardware RAID controller, the HP 940-i8, then you need to get rid of it. TrueNAS is designed around ZFS, which uses direct access to the disks for it's own RAID methodology. It has been proven that hardware RAID controllers interfere with ZFS, even to the point of data loss.

Next, some SAS controllers are not setup for boot devices. Perhaps you should use a system board SATA port(s) for your boot device(s). Then make sure the BIOS is set to boot to them.

TrueNAS & ZFS are not as flexible as some other SOHO NAS software or all-in-one NASes. ZFS takes a bit of planning to implement storage successfully, (aka successful is defined as data reliability, suitable for your purposes and straight forward to manage). Their are lots of documents for new users, (forum count of 1 and joined forums today), that are available via the Resources link at the top of the forum pages.

kiilller97

Cadet
Thanks for your help
I get fixed it
I hammered on the keyboard until I found I can set a boot device in the hba
After I set it, I can boot from the disk
And I installed it again now I’m setting up the network and try to get my 10gbit card running