Newbie help - Proliant MicroServer

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeremyjo

Dabbler
I'm trying to build up a media and file server around a HP Proliant Microserver with two 3T drives and a 16G thumb drive. I tried several times to install the .ISO via a USB CD drive right to the thumb drive in the Microserver with no success. The microserver would not boot from the .iso CD. So I took all the hard drives out and left only the CD and the thumb drive and installation worked fine.

Next problem. When I inserted the hard drives and rebooted, the Microserver would continuously reboot. I took the hard drives out and the Microserver booted fine.

Because I'm new, I let the Microserver boot up with FreeNas and then just inserted the hard drives hot. They both recognized and I was able to add volumes via the web gui.

When I rebooted, however, with the hard drives inserted, the unit continuously reboots. Take hard drives out and the unit boots properly.

THe BIOS shows both hard drives and has them configured as RAID1 (I think, again, I'm new to this game).

When I insert the hard drives after booting the system, they both show up in FreeNas and can be striped together and things seem to work normally, though I don't know what I'm doing yet.

Any help for a complete newbie?

THank you

Jeremy

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Can you start with what version of FreeNAS you are trying to install, what model and specs of the server, etc?

jeremyjo

Dabbler
Quite right, my apologies.

I downloaded FreeNAS-8.3.0-RELEASE-x64.iso to install on a HP Proliant Microserver model n40dl according to FreeNas web gui.

I have FreeNas running on the Microserver, but when I try to reboot it, it will continue to reboot not getting into FreeNas until I physically remove the storage hard drives and let the unit boot off the USB drive inside the chassis.

FreeNas says the build is FreeNAS-8.3.0-RELEASE-x64 (r12701M)
Platform is AMD Turion(tm) II Neo N40L Dual-Core Processor
Memory is 6064MB

Again, I'm new to this server stuff, but not new to computers. Some things are intuitive, but having the unit reboot continuously until I remove the storage drives seems strange.

Thanks for any help.

JJ

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Have to tried different ports on the motherboard? Perhaps different SATA cables. Alot of people have the N40L so I know the hardware is supposed to work. Maybe the controller on the MB is going bad?

What BIOS settings you do have set for the SATA controller? Is it set to AHCI?

jeremyjo

Dabbler
I haven't tried different SATA cables or ports - there is one port apparently for the RAID controller that goes to all the drive bays. I did try moving the disks to different positions. There is only one USB port on the motherboard. I will check the SATA controller settings; thank you.

I can boot the server with NO storage drives in, then insert the storage drives and everything seems to work. I know this isn't good for the drives, but for whatever reason I can't boot the server with the storage drives in place.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Another idea, you could try a new USB stick. Some people have crappy USB sticks that cause problems. I have a 32GB stick that works perfectly on every flash drive test I run, but it won't work well if I use it in FreeNAS.

jeremyjo

Dabbler
OK, Changed SATA controller to AHCI and disabled hardware RAID as I read in another thread. Now unit boots with both storage drives in place. I'll continue to fiddle with it. I think the USB drive is working fine so far.

JJ

Status
Not open for further replies.