Is it safe to change the name of a ZPool?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CraftyClown

Patron
Hi fellas, as the title says; Is it safe to change the title of a ZPool?

I had a pool set up called Movies and Music and now I've added a second just called Music and I'm wondering if I can alter the name of the first pool to just Movies, without messing things up or causing too many unnecessary headaches?

Cheers

jgreco

Resident Grinch
The usual thing is not to set up multiple pools but rather to make datasets within a single large pool. cyberjock has a guide at the top of the N00bs forum.

I don't know of a good way to change the name of a pool within the FreeNAS framework.

CraftyClown

Patron
Hi JGreco, the reason for the 2nd Pool rather than extending the first was due to the fact this is a temporary pool using two available drives I had. At a later date I will be swapping them out for larger drives and if I'm not mistaken this would be the proverbial bitch of a job if I add them into the existing pool and then try to take them out. Please correct me if I'm wrong though.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
No, that's fine. We've all been there in that tight spot trying to make available resources work out. I just wanted to make sure you knew what you were doing.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Here's a rough guide on how you do what you want. I don't support this, but it does work. If you can't figure out some of the commands, try google. There's plenty of examples.

Assuming "poolb" should be renamed to "poola". If either one are encrypted you won't be able to do this, so don't even try this.. you'll lose your data if i remember correctly.

1. export poolb from the WebGUI.
2. Import poolb with the appropriate command line parameters to change the name from poolb to poola.
3. export poolb(which is actually now poola).
4. Import poola into the WebGUI.
5. Reboot(don't forget this.. it matters for reasons I don't understand).
6. Fix your shares, etc.

CraftyClown

Patron
Thanks CyberJock, that makes perfect sense although I may hold off from doing it until I am a little more familiar with the command line interface. After all, changing the names of the ZPools to something more fitting is purely aesthetics on my part and can definitely wait :)

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yeah. The reality of it is that your CIFS shares don't use your pools name. So unless you are a business with 10 IT guys that need to keep naming straight so people aren't confused, naming of the pool is somewhat inconsequential. My pool is named 'tank'. ;)

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Yeah, I was thinking along those lines but it can get complex fast if you have to reconfigure. It'll work if you do it right though.

It's what I meant by "not within the FreeNAS framework."

CraftyClown

Patron
Ah of course, the share is named independently of the Pool. That really is the only bit I need to change anyway then.

Cheers guys, you've all been really helpful :)

Status
Not open for further replies.