Is it possible to configue FreeNAS in a way that it boots up without keyboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ganzir

Explorer
Hi,

the title already says it.

I have just setup freenas and now I want to put the box in a shelf without monitor our keyboard connected to it.

The first part of grub passes after the timeout is reached the second part of the bootup however does not, because a selection has to be made.

Is there a way to circumvent this?

Well there IS a selection but without a keyboard attached the countdown timer will automatically select and continue on to booting. The only reason why you need a keyboard connected is if you need to change back to an older boot environment or something of that nature.

If it's not automatically selecting it could be a hardware or install problem.

Since you didn't post your system specs I am guessing you didn't read before posting https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/forum-rules.22553/

maglin

Patron
I assume it's on a desktop MB. You have to go into the BIOS and remove errors for no keyboard or something to that extent. Most desktop MBs don't like not having a keyboard attached.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I assume it's on a desktop MB. You have to go into the BIOS and remove errors for no keyboard or something to that extent. Most desktop MBs don't like not having a keyboard attached.

If it gets to GRUB, that's not the issue. If there even is an issue...

danb35

Hall of Famer
The first part of grub passes after the timeout is reached the second part of the bootup however does not, because a selection has to be made.
There's clearly some confusion here about what you mean, and your experience is not the same as others' here (including my own; my system boots just fine without making any manual selections on any menu, and I haven't done anything in particular to enable that). Could you provide a picture of the "second part" where a selection has to be made? And also provide the information required by the forum rules (which you said you read and agreed to when you signed up yesterday), like FreeNAS version and hardware information?

maglin

Patron
I just realized that maybe you are referring to the FreeNAS screen if you have a monitor attached to the box. The GUI is accessed via a browser through the network. The IP address should be displayed on the screen you might be saying is the second boot up screen. Can you take and share a picture of these screens?

Status
Not open for further replies.