IPMI No Keyboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

sfcredfox

Patron
Greetings,

After some troubleshooting, research, and trial/error, I still cannot get FreeNAS to recognize the keyboard using IPMI.

I've tried a few things already based on some posts and Google:
https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...ssues-on-the-supermicro-mbd-x9sbaa-f-o.17912/
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2008-March/041649.html
I've adjusted this both ways, doesn't seem to help.

I've tried adding the tunable:
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/load-xhci-on-startup.22750/
That threw an error in web gui about unrecoverable error.

When the system boots, it complains about two USB devices it can't recognize. I've looked at BIOS settings, but I don't know what else to try and set. SOL doesn't seems to work either, which may be due to a mis-configuration in BIOS or parameters in GUI?

Fortunately, FreeNAS has a command line interface from the gui, but if I ever have a GUI problem, I'd like to have console access remote.

Anyone else have any ideas?

X8DTN+ / 5520 Dual Zeon 2.27 Ghz Quad / 72GB DDR3 ECC
SIMLP IPMI (1.66 Firmware)
IBM 1015 / LSI 9211-8i / SuperMicro BPN-SAS2-826EL1
No drives/pools yet

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
As long as the network is up, SSH works just fine. You don't need the GUI.

In fact, I've never used the terminal in the GUI to do anything....

sfcredfox

Patron
Indeed, I also use SSH.

I'm still concerned about having raw console access to the machine incase something goes wrong with the OS. It seems to work fine until the OS boots. This was also reported by one of the other posters complaining of the same issue.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I'd try to reflash/update the IPMI firmware, BIOS and Management Engine firmware.

sfcredfox

Patron
That was my first thought, it's as high as it goes I guess. They stopped supporting this particular IPMI (EOL) I guess. I played around with firmware for about a day (that I'll never get back...)

I was hoping there was something I could do to improve the acceptance of the drive in FreeBSD/FreeNAS.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
It could also be a hardware defect.

sfcredfox

Patron
I was able to get the exact error message in case it give anyone ideas for me to try:

On Console:
root mount waiting for usbus 3
usbd_setup_device_desc: getting device descriptor at address 3 failed, USB_ERR_IOError
USB_ALLOC_Device: failure selecting configuration index 0, USB_ERR_IOError, port 5, add 3 ignored

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
What about a different OS? Similar errors?

If so, it's almost certainly a hardware issue.

sfcredfox

Patron
Other OS' worked fine. Was able to use it for Ubuntu install and mem test off Ubuntu disc.

It also works fine for post. Basically, as soon as FreeBSD boots, it stops working. I think it hates whatever USB driver/device SuperMicro used.

I am curious if trying to load in some driver or change a boot variable would do anything.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
That's really silly. It should just expose a regular ol' USB HID-compliant keyboard.

Out of curiosity, what happens if you try to use a real USB keyboard?

sfcredfox

Patron
Hmm, you would ask a good question. I didn't think about that.

I'll test it out.

sfcredfox

Patron
FreeNAS instantly detected the Dell USB keyboard and it worked fine. Doesn't appear to be a general USB issue with OS, or a hardware issue with USB controllers. I checked the BIOS a few times, trying different settings. Right now, it's set for AUTO going between legacy just in case the IPMI USB is legacy. I also tried legacy just ENABLED.

Status
Not open for further replies.