BUILD Should have done my homework (or) thoughts/issues on the SuperMicro MBD-X9SBAA-F-O

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Do the Ubiquiti AP's support multiple VLAN's with a SSID per vlan? I haven't surveyed the available AP stuff since -g days but with the advent of ever faster wireless, am tempted...

tedtucker

Cadet
Hold the phone!!! I did the exact same thing... I purchased the X9SBAA and tried to load FreeNAS... failed...

Buy a $10 PCI USB 2 card plug into MB and plug keyboard into it
Attach to the MB via IPMI
Load the FreeNAS iso
Boot

Once FreeNAS is booting as Dusan says:
  1. Quickly hit Esc on the Welcome to FreeNAS boot prompt ([Esc]ape to loader prompt)
  2. load xhci
  3. boot
Now the keyboard via IPMI will stop working and switch to your keyboard plugged in via the PCI USB card.
INSTALL FREENAS! Boom!

Mguilicutty

Explorer
Do the Ubiquiti AP's support multiple VLAN's with a SSID per vlan?

Yes.

ubapvlan.png

Mguilicutty

Explorer
Hey guys just remembered one issue we had with the Ubiquti APs, maybe it's not really an issue. Some idiot when setting them up forgot to set the channels on a multi AP setup we did and left them all set to auto. Okay it was me... Anyway I think they are supposed to be able to do some area sniffing and determine what is the best channel to use but maybe that is supposed to be in the upcoming 3.x firmware. We always do a walk around when designing wireless networks and determine the channels ahead of time. I noticed this after we turned them all up but left them set to auto just to see what would happen. Over the course of a few days I watched them and they did change channels occasionally, but sometimes it would set a couple of neighbors to the same channel. I'm far from a wireless expert but that goes against what I've been told to do. On the other hand none of the few people there at the time complained about any wireless issues and I had already left the site so I couldn't do any testing myself. After a few days I logged in and set them according to the original plan.

My .02...

russoj88

Dabbler
I did the same thing (bought the MB and now the PCI USB hub), but am trying to install FreeNAS 9.3.

How do I load xhci during boot with this version? Has anyone got 9.3 working on this board?

russoj88

Dabbler
Got it working with 9.3 (mostly)!

My solution (more of guess and check) was to:
1. Load the ISO, get to the installer screen. Edit ('e') the commands and add
Code:
kfreebsd_module_elf /boot/kernel/xhci.ko
after the kfreebsd line in the grub loader. F10 to boot, install.

2. Reboot, and once again edit the commands and add
Code:
kfreebsd_module_elf /ROOT/default/@/boot/kernel/xhci.ko
after the line for the ispfw.ko. F10 to boot. It will return error 2 if the USB(s) have not been recognized yet. After they show up on screen, retype the boot location (zfs:freenas-boot/ROOT/default).

3. Uncomment xhci_load="YES" in /boot/loader.conf

Still needed to tell it to boot to the right place after updating the OS. After all that trouble, this board may be repurposed to a router and I'll get a different mini-ITX for the NAS.

Hope this helps someone trying to get this board to work.

On a side note, will XHCI be enabled by default in FreeNAS-10?

Last edited:

averyfreeman

Contributor
If the board has IPMI, why don't you just use the virtual media feature and boot from an ISO over the lan?

Status
Not open for further replies.