Installing plugins is really slow / never finishes

Status
Not open for further replies.

matthewp

Dabbler
I just bought a FreeNAS mini:
I set everything up and tried installing plexmediaserver following this guide:
In that video each step is fairly quick. In my experience installing has been very slow. Downloading was slow (at least 15 minutes), the "creating template" part was slow (at least 10 minutes) and am now on the "creating jail" step and it's been going for a good 30 minutes. My questions are:

1) How long should installation take? When should I be worried?

2) Does it get faster after the first one? Otherwise it's going to be an all-day task to install a handful of plugins.

3) How do I know when installation is failing and what can I do to recover?

Thanks! Look forward to being part of this community.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
1) it should take a fairly long time the first time, I'd guess 10-15mins but it depends on a bunch of factors.

2) it gets significantly faster after the first time. FN no longer needs to download the jail template, or uncompress it. it just clones a snapshot of the template jail dataset.

3) I usually watch 'top' and if I don't see significant activity for a few minutes I figure the process died ( but I've been lucky about the versions i update to so this is rare for me)

av8rboi

Cadet
I did a fresh install of stable 9.3 release and now my plex plugin has been installing for hours. It stops midway and then starts again from 0%. Any help is really appreciated.
Is there a way I could download plugins and jail templates to my computer and then upload them directly to freenas server?

EDIT: I can't even install transmission plugin. Plugin gets downloaded but the process gets aborted when downloading templates.

Last edited:

caketime

Cadet
i rebooted my FreenNAS machine and afterwards it seemed work ok, Plex now installed + other plugins.
Have u tried creating a manual jail? (before trying to install plugins)
Jails - Add Jail

goodentree

Cadet
I rebooted my FreeNas as well then tried to manually create a jail. ETA is saying 1:74:04
running on Intel Xeon E3-1225 v3 3.2GHz 4C with 16gigs RAM. Prior to latest 9.3 release, this would take approx 5 minutes.
...just saying

geekmiki

Dabbler
Facing the same problem here:
New Freenas 9.3 installation and SABNZB+ installation has been going on for at least an hour.

Is there something we can do or we just have to wait over hour to get a plugin installed?

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Facing the same problem here:
New Freenas 9.3 installation and SABNZB+ installation has been going on for at least an hour.

Is there something we can do or we just have to wait over hour to get a plugin installed?
if you download the pbi then upload it, it saves freenas a step. it shouldn't take an hour for a plugin to install so definitely something is wrong there.

Status
Not open for further replies.