Installation, Configuration, Maintaining for users and admin

Status
Not open for further replies.

catmanth

Cadet
Hi
Spending some hours in the forum here, I not real found these points.

I installed FreeNas V8.2 beta 2 nearly 10 times the last 5 days, to test all the disaster and problem issues. And I get the impression of a good running software.
I could not see that the V8 beta is unstable but V 8.0.4 is very unstable.

so far the foreword. :)

what I was wishing along this tests:

1) a way to create groups, users, ZFS sub-volumes and CIFS out of an simple text file - UNIX like not GUI driven

2) a better sorting of entries in different GUI screens, some are sorted by creation time, some alphabetic some ... no idea yet what is the sorting, there is no alphabetic, group ID

3) the "Add New" button should be on place where is the return position in the GUI screen, sample: Add New share in CIFS screen is on the bottom, when you added a new share you end up on the top. (understanding?) you like to add a new share, after 30 shares or more, you scroll down hit the button and when finished you on the top again. ;( so if the "Add New Share" button is on the top it saves the time and the life time of mouse wheel to scroll down. :)

4) we not using AD, LDAP authentication, (not yet) so I need all users locally handled.
4.a) is it possible that each user can logon to the GUI and handle password and personal data by them self? A standard user can only see and edit his own user record, no other records, no other admin functions. I tried it but not found a working solution.

That's my suggestions the moment, sure there come more along I use it.

but please before you start to change, finish the beta version to a final production version. :)

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
you can already add users/groups without the gui using the standard unix commands. Though with the gui it will save these changes on it's config which you can be backed up. Also go ahead and do all your zfs stuff in the cli as well, it is fully supported to do so in FreeNAS 8.3 Beta3.

If you want to configure stuff with a simple text file, just put all your useradd commands and zpool command in a file called simple.txt. then just run it './simple.txt' , LOL not sure if that's what you meant.

Status
Not open for further replies.