FreeNAS 8, zfs datasets within datasets

Status
Not open for further replies.
(I posted this in the old forums just before the switch to the new forum i hope no one mids the repost.)

I've been using zfs on Solaris for the last 2 years or so and have been using FreeNAS for about a year. i wanted to move my user directories from my Solaris server onto my FreeNAS server but ran into some issues. I can't find to make datasets within datasets. on my Solaris system, i have a dataset 'users' and inside, a dataset for each user. I can't find a way to do this under the Web GUI, I can do it from the CLI but they don't get recognized by the Web GUI. i want to do this so i can have snapshots for each individual user, not the entire user directory.

Can we get a way to add this feature or is there an existing way to do this that i am missing.

Thanks for your time!

eg:

users/user1
users/user2

William Grzybowski

Wizard
iXsystems
(I posted this in the old forums just before the switch to the new forum i hope no one mids the repost.)

I've been using zfs on Solaris for the last 2 years or so and have been using FreeNAS for about a year. i wanted to move my user directories from my Solaris server onto my FreeNAS server but ran into some issues. I can't find to make datasets within datasets. on my Solaris system, i have a dataset 'users' and inside, a dataset for each user. I can't find a way to do this under the Web GUI, I can do it from the CLI but they don't get recognized by the Web GUI. i want to do this so i can have snapshots for each individual user, not the entire user directory.

Can we get a way to add this feature or is there an existing way to do this that i am missing.

Thanks for your time!

eg:

users/user1
users/user2

Hello.

This feature is alreay implemented in the trunk development branch.
Unfortunately it didn't make into release due to a minor bug, it will be available in the next public release.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.