Import encrypted ZFS volume after reinstall - no disks in list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lynk Former

Cadet
I'm trying not to panic because I have made a stupid mistake. While not ALL is lost, I did make the mistake of forgetting to backup some of the files I transferred to my newly created NAS system running FreeNAS 11.0-U3.

I'll try to run through my issue in dot point form to be succinct:
  • Created FreeNAS 11.0-U3 boot on USB stick.
  • Created RaidZ2 volume using 6 disks and encrypted the entire volume.
  • Downloaded geli.key file and backed it up.
  • After setting up everything on the GUI, I saved a config file and backed it up.
  • Two days later, boot USB drive became corrupted.
  • Got new USB stick and reinstalled FreeNAS 11.0-U3, creating a new boot drive.
  • Once new boot drive was created, logged in and uploaded the backed up config file.
  • Noticed that my RaidZ2 volume is "Locked" and click the little "Unlock" icon at the bottom of the screen.
  • Get following message in console:
Code:
Sep 18 18:42:52 freenas uwsgi: [middleware.notifier:2991] Importing MEGAROAD-01 [18125262764607208005] failed
with: cannot import '18125262764607208005': no such pool available

• Click on "Import Volume" button and choose "Yes: Decrypt disks" option when asked "Encrypted ZFS volume?" and click OK.
  • On the next step, the "Disks" list is EMPTY and I am able to select the geli.key file and enter in my Passphrase.
  • At this stage, I am not able to continue because I am not able to choose any disks.

This is as far as I've gotten and I'm starting to fear that I've lost some very important files due to my own negligence of forgetting to back them up.

I am a novice, which should be no surprise, and I really need someone's help to guide me through this.

Is there a way that I can salvage this situation and recover my files?

Thanks in advance.

Lynk Former

Cadet
Nevermind, I'm an impulsive idiot who stopped thinking at the first sign of trouble.

I solved my own stupidly simple problem:

• Click Detach Volume button and make sure the checkboxes are unchecked so that data and configuration isn't destroyed.
  • Click on Import Volume button and follow steps.
  • Everything back to normal.
*phew*

I'm not such a screw up after all, but this is a very hard lesson learned.

Thanks anyway, I'm going to back up that data that I should have backed up in the first place now, and from now on, no more encrypted volumes.

gpsguy

I am glad to hear that you solved your problem. Most of us don't encrypt our volumes and don't recommend users do it either. We've seen many instances where things go wrong and users lose access to their data.

Lynk Former

Cadet
Indeed, once I backup up that last bit of data, I'll be recreating the volume without encryption.

Status
Not open for further replies.