Issue on import of encrypted volume after config restore

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pitfrr

Wizard
Hello,

I was wondering if I’d missed something?
(just to get that out of the way: no data loss or anything)

System 1: X9SCM with xeon 1220Lv2 and 16GB of RAM; 6X4TB in RAIDz2 encrypted, running FreeNAS 9.10.2.

I have a backup of the configuration and of the key file.
I migrated the disks to an other system.

System 2:
HP DL380 G6 with 2 xeon L5640, 208GB of RAM, LSI HBA, running VMware.
I created a VM for FreeNAS with 64GB dedicated RAM and the LSI HBA passed through and installed FreeNAS 9.10.2.

I used the same version on the new system to import the config file (so I don’t have to reconfigure the shares, user, tasks and so on, nothing very fancy though).

I installed FreeNAS, the disks were showing up, no problem.

- I imported the configuration without any problem. Then I imported the volume.
The volume was found then I entered the passphrase and the key file but then it wouldn’t decrypt the disks (I didn’t write down the error :-( but it was a message saying that the disk could not be decrypted).

- I tried the other way around with the volume import first. There I did’t have any problem (I entered the passphrase and the key file and the volume got decrypted).
Afterwards, I couldn’t import the configuration file (but I don’t recall why exactly... how annoying when you realize afterwards you’re missing parts...) that’s why I had to do the configuration manually, which was a bit time consuming but nothing complicated.

So my question is: does anyone observed this behavior? And is this behavior to be expected? Or did I miss something (what?)?

I know encrypted pools are not very popular... :-D But why didn’t the configuration file worked properly (well it worked but it prevented me to decrypt the volume)?

To that I have a possible thought:
- I would assume the configuration is hardware independent... but maybe not or not completely or not compatible with FreeNAS runnning in a VM (and importing the config from bare metal)?

Thank you for your feedback!

Pitfrr

Wizard
My resolution was to import the volume and then redo the configuration manually... ;-O
But I was wondering if this behaviour was to be expected?

I might try it again to see if I can reproduce it but it won't be before some time for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.