I have 6x Seagate ST3000DM001's, and this error today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Temperature looks high, by the way. Maximum of 50 degrees Celsius is rather high - ideally, it should be 40 or less.
Other than that, attributes look fine. Seagate's error rates are not human-readable - they encode two values, one of them logarithmic, leading to the insane-looking numbers. Worry if they get close to 0. ;)

As for the errors, they could be a transient problem. Clear them and keep a watchful eye on the server to see if they reoccur.

While we're at it, post your hardware to see if there's anything that catches the eye as a possible cause.

-RYknow

Explorer
Ok...so I have to be honest, I work two jobs, and basically I only get a chance to post and surf on weekends. So I honestly forgot about this thread. My issues have expanded, I seem to be suffering from some sort of hardware failure. A few times I see people mentioned wanting to see my hardware list, it is as follows;

Asrock C2750D4i
16GB Kingston ECC
Boot Drive: SanDisk Cruzer Glide (8gb)
6x Seagate 3TB drives (raidz2)
Seasonic 400watt fanless PSU (SS-400FL2)
It's all housed in a Fractal Design Arc Midi R2. I have dual 140mm fans mounted as intakes in the front, and one out the back for exhaust.

My newest issue is that the machine dropped offline about two weeks ago. I haven't had anytime to play with it till now. I shut it down and haven't played with it since. I decided two days ago to try and figure it out. I was able to access the IPMI and boot the machine that way, but when I enter the remote control tab, I don't get any display. I've connected a display to the machine and I don't get any display there either. I can't even seem to get the machine to post. My first thought was RAM, so I tried every combination of RAM to slots as I could (1 stick, swapped sticks, and tried every slot with one stick, then tried the other stick in one slot)....No go. I ended up posting here (again, because I forgot I had this thread started). It was suggested it may be my PSU. I've since dug an old PSU out that I feel pretty confident works fine (It's an older PC Power & Cooling 750watt). Still no display. No post, no nothing from what I can tell. I'm going to try the IPMI again with the new PSU and see what I get.

When I boot the machine there are two green LED's that are lit. after a few seconds the LED closest to the CMOS battery goes out. There is a quick red flash on another LED right next to the front panel header. At this point, the green LED by the CMOS battery started flashing. I've been through the manual, but there is zero mention of the LED's and the lit/flashing significance. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

-RYknow

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
When I boot the machine there are two green LED's that are lit. after a few seconds the LED closest to the CMOS battery goes out. There is a quick red flash on another LED right next to the front panel header. At this point, the green LED by the CMOS battery started flashing. I've been through the manual, but there is zero mention of the LED's and the lit/flashing significance. Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Regarding the blinking green LED, this is your BMC Controller indicator (ASPEED AST2300).
When your PSU is first turned on, this glows steady until the controller becomes active (indicated by the steady blinking) and will
remain blinking (active) as long as you have power to the board.
The AST2300 also runs your VGA, so if you can't get video through either the IPMI remote console AND the VGA port, my guess is your hardware is the issue.

Test your board outside the case with only 1 stick of RAM, CPU, VGA monitor and USB keyboard.
Try booting into the BIOS/UEFI, if it won't do that, it's RMA time!

-RYknow

Explorer
Test your board outside the case with only 1 stick of RAM, CPU, VGA monitor and USB keyboard.
Try booting into the BIOS/UEFI, if it won't do that, it's RMA time!

Ok. Yeah, to this point I've tried everything I can think of. I've now used a second monitor thinking maybe the monitor I was using was the issue. So far for all my trouble shooting today I've got just the board with a keyboard hooked into the USB; I've got all my drives disconnected, and I've had the eithernet cable disconnected as well. I just plugged the eithernet back in, and now I can't even access IPMI... I'll pull the board just for due diligence, but I feel pretty confident I've trouble shooted this board to the best of my abilities.

I just hope my pool will be recoverable!

-RYknow

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Since you started all this with some drive issues, I'll keep my fingers crossed that your volume
is recoverable. It seems as the board is having problems of a secondary nature now.
With some good luck, once the board issues are ironed out, your pool will be OK.
Let us know how it's going...

-RYknow

Explorer
Me too... I have roughly 7tb of data on there I'd love to get back. I JUST bought two Western Digital My Book (4tb each) externals to back everything up. I REALLY hope I'm not too little, too late... All of my familes gopro videos and photos from my DSLR are on there. My wife just might kill me if this doesn't all work out!

NOTE: Suddenly the IPMI is working?! Trying the remote console. If I can at least get the machine long enough to get all the important stuff backed up, I'll be a happy man!

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
I just plugged the eithernet back in, and now I can't even access IPMI...
ASRock C2750D4I Mini ITX.jpg
Please don't be offended if this is a stupid question, but are you plugging the ethernet cable into the
dedicated IPMI port?

-RYknow

Explorer
View attachment 8548
Please don't be offended if this is a stupid question, but are you plugging the ethernet cable into the
dedicated IPMI port?

HAHA! No stupid questions. I'm at a loss, and it's quite possible I've missed something stupid at this point. However, I AM plugged into the dedicated IPMI port.

EDIT: So, now that the IPMI is working for a second, when I log in (I've manually hit the power button on the machine and all the fans are spinning) the remote control screen on the dashboard says "Host is powered OFF or is in Sleep Mode" Not really sure why? So I (from the remote control tab) shut the machine down...which worked, then powered it back up, which also worked. However I still don't get any display or post.

-RYknow

Last edited:

-RYknow

Explorer
Here are a couple pics of the setup to reference.

-RYKnow

Edit: Sorry for the size, just threw them up quick and dirty for you all.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
My guess at this point is the VGA output is broken.
( I trust you have tried another VGA cable?)
Consult your mobo manual on how to clear the CMOS
and just see if you can boot into the BIOS/UEFI.
Maybe replace the mobo battery if you have a spare...
If you can't get into the BIOS, I think we're done here :(

-RYknow

Explorer
My guess at this point is the VGA output is broken.
( I trust you have tried another VGA cable?)
Consult your mobo manual on how to clear the CMOS
and just see if you can boot into the BIOS/UEFI.
Maybe replace the mobo battery if you have a spare...
If you can't get into the BIOS, I think we're done here :(

I've tried two different monitors, two different cables, two different PSU's. I've pulled the CMOS battery three times. I checked the battery with a multi-meter, and I'm getting 3.1 volts, so the battery appears to be good. Looks like I can proceed to get in touch with Asrock? I've read their RMA process is usually good. I hope I get good service as well.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Looks like I can proceed to get in touch with Asrock? I've read their RMA process is usually good. I hope I get good service as well.
Don't know that there's anything else you can do at this point, I've heard alot of good feedback
about ASRock and their customer service. Here's wishing you good luck!
Keep us up to date about your experiences...

-RYknow

Explorer
Don't know that there's anything else you can do at this point, I've heard alot of good feedback
about ASRock and their customer service. Here's wishing you good luck!
Keep us up to date about your experiences...

Alright man! I GREATLY appreciate all your help today! I felt like I was well on my way to trouble shooting everything the best I could, but I appreciate your help in verifying that! Thanks for all your help!

-RYknow

-RYknow

Explorer
Just a little bit of an update!

I got in touch with Asrock. Based on my email, and the list of things I had already tried, they were quick to confirm an RMA was in order. My e-mails were responded to by William. Overall, I'm VERY pleased with the customer support so far! William gave me a link to process my RMA within 12 hours of my initial e-mail. I processed the RMA request, which was accepted within 5 min. I work two jobs, so I wasn't able to ship the board out right away. I shipped the board out today. I sent William proof of shipping, and in less then two hours I got an email back with a tracking number and confirmation they had cross shipped a new board out to me!

Now, I'll be honest...since this board crapped out, I've already been looking at alternative solutions. However, given what I feel to be top notch customer service I'm willing to hold out and give Asrock another chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.