Seagate ST3000DM001 - An Adventure, or something like that...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Now, lets apply this to mirrored pools of size 2-need-1 for enterprise and size 3 need 1 for cheap (for each vDev):
  • cheap system reliability of 99.200%
  • "enterprise" system reliability of 97.775%
Again, 150% drive count allows the cheaper and less reliable drives to offer a significantly better system reliability at ~75% of the cost of the enterprise solution.

Correct, which explains why I've chosen to use consumer grade drives on a VM storage server. More of them means better reliability. Larger drives means faster (less fragmentation). Cheaper drives means beer money.

Apollo

Wizard
You can read about st3000dm001 here: http://habrahabr.ru/post/251941/ (Russian)
Shortly: because of crappy production sequence st3000dm001 have a little hole which allows dust to get inside, and results in disk destruction.
At the look of it the drive, hence the entire system must have been used in a highly contaminated place, like a coal mine or something.
Going the the google translation they claim it is ferrous material, but I doubt this is coming from the drive itself.
The platters look as if they were exposed to humidity or possibly submerged and left to dry out, causing the strange spot pattern.

Sugaroverdose

Dabbler
At the look of it the drive, hence the entire system must have been used in a highly contaminated place, like a coal mine or something.
Going the the google translation they claim it is ferrous material, but I doubt this is coming from the drive itself.
The platters look as if they were exposed to humidity or possibly submerged and left to dry out, causing the strange spot pattern.
Most of dust you see on photos - is ferromagnetic material from drive, but this is result of destruction, not reason.
There's no need for much dust to create conditions for disk platters destruction, don't forget they're spinning at ~5400-7400rpm

Scharbag

Guru
FML, another drive is starting to have offline errors...

Piles o' crap they are.

Apollo

Wizard
Not familiar with the FML meaning. Is this swearing or any other meaning?

Apollo

Wizard
FML, another drive is starting to have offline errors...

Piles o' crap they are.
Sad, but if they are all showing signs of fatigue, then you might as well replace them all. It is scary to see them go clockwork in such a short time, which prooves you can't rely on ZFS allow to keep your data safe. Remote or onsite backup is the word.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

jgreco

Resident Grinch
# fsck /dev/mylife
** /dev/mylife
** Last mounted on /sucky
** Phase 1 - Check Blocks and Sizes
10 DUP i=1
UNEXPECTED SOFT UPDATE INCONSISTENCY - RERUN FSCK

marbus90

Guru
It's not build from ST3000DM001 but from ST4000DX001-1CE168, so that one is quite robust. However the HDS721010DLE630 ... nothanks.

Scharbag

Guru
It may have been a bad batch, that is for sure. But even warranty replacements have failed...

Think that the 3TB seagate is just a lemon. Here is hoping that the 4TB version is better.

And I agree, ZFS is never a substitute for backups!! But it is really good and maintaining data availability!

Snoochy boochy.

marbus90

Guru
Or just some common sense. It's all one model. HGST had bad models (firmware issues on 2.5" drives which lead to early death, masses of Hitachi HDS721010DLE630 dying), WD had bad models (Reds with Green firmware...).... just use toshiba. :P

Scharbag

Guru
Well, power failure at my place a couple days ago. Server shuts down gracefully when UPS is running low so everything gets parked properly. When I restart the server, one of my drives does not spin up. Not at all surprised it was a 3TB Seagate. Later that day, another 3TB seagate started throwing smart errors. So, I too have another pair of shiny Seagate branded paperweights sitting on top of my server (why I keep them is beyond me...).

It seems that the 3TB HDDs from the 2012 era are rife with issues. Apple recently said they are extending warranty on 3TB HDDs. Backblaze has another writeup that details a 90% failure rate on the 3TB ST3000DM001 drives. That is not at all awesome... Would be nice if Seagate stepped up to the plate and extended the warranty on the 3TB drives that suck so bad. I miss the days of 5 year HDD warranties.

So, this really hammers home the need for redundancy if you want data availability as well as proper backups if you value your data!! Thank you FreeNAS team for making such a pimpin file system available to idiots like me.

Cheers,

Scharbag

Guru
Well, another 3TB drive just died last night... SMART went a little crazy on its ass. Still spinning, but error counters were starting to get large very quickly.

I guess my plans to expand my pool may be accelerated at the rate I am throwing 4TB disks at it...

Resilver takes about 9.5 hours on my system. So with Z2 and backups, at least the risk is fairly low that I will have data loss.

Once again, ZFS is very cool.

Scharbag

Guru
And another one bites the dust... :( To be expected I guess.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
How about a bowling alley?
As bricks, you mean?

I don't recommend it. They're way too heavy.
Clay or cement, triple-chambered is what you want for exterior walls. Two layers sandwiching insulation.

As bowling balls?

Aside from their distinct lack of spherical geometry, they might work well.

As pins?

I dunno, they tend to make those light so that they don't need a very strong structure on the pinsetter machine.

You *could* use them as shoes. They would certainly be more comfortable and hygienic than the overpriced crap they rent.

Of course, you could make a modern art exhibit. Bribe a critic and pay a gallery owner and you'll be half-way into the hearts of people who passionately believe that art comes in all shapes and sizes. I recommend pre-treating the drives with a hammer.

Status
Not open for further replies.