I can't set up password transmission

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandroggy

Cadet
Hi, i want to access to transmission from outside my network. But for security reason I want a password.
I have try to set up a password with the FreeNAS GUI but only the username is save. When i go in the settings.json the username is good too but the password look like that "{a4d7e8f...."

I can't figure out how this works.

Sorry for my english, i'm french.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
I think the password is stored as a hash.
did you try logging in to see if transmission ask you for a password?

Sandroggy

Cadet
Yes several times and transmission ask me a username and password but when i try to log nothing happend.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
just a guess as I don't use transmission authentication, but can you try restarting transmission, and accessing it from a fresh browser session. maybe you authentication token from before the password is still being accepted?

EDIT
just reread your post. so it does ask, and when I try logging in it does not seem to work?

Sandroggy

Cadet
No change, but on edge i have only 3 try and i have a page with
401: Unauthorized

when i go in the GUI with a password setup i don't have '******' in the password field
upload_2016-4-9_0-13-54.png

Last edited:

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
No change, but on edge i have only 3 try and i have a page with
401: Unauthorized

when i go in the GUI with a password setup i don't have '******' in the password field
View attachment 11277
the freenas GUI will not show you anything even if there is a password stored, but if you do ever enter anything it will hash it properly and input it into the config and reload transmission.

I'll test my setup with a password and see if it works as expected.

Sandroggy

Cadet
Ok, and just in case i use Freenas 9.10 (i don't know if this make any difference)

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
everything worked as expected for me.

the things you bring up are expected, the password you enter is hashed in the config file and the password field is empty even if a password is set. I was able to reproduce the 401 screen you got by entering the wrong password.

Sandroggy

Cadet
Ok thanks for your time. (now i'm sure this come from my setup)
But all works fine except the password and i have try lot of different user/password, simple as 'a' 'a', it's weird ^^

Status
Not open for further replies.