problem with transmission web gui

Status
Not open for further replies.

bart1201

Cadet
i am running FreeNAS-8.3.1-RELEASE-p2-x86, i installed the plugins jail, transmission, minidnla and firefly, transmission is running, the only problem is that i can't access the web interface, i did set a login and password but when i connect to the transmission web interface it asks for a login and password, it doesn't accept the the login and password i did set earlier. i want to limit the download speed of transmission so i can keep on surfing the internet :D that is because our bandwith is very small, i hope that someone has a solution for this,

greetings, Bart

interpeix

Contributor
mmmm... you could try to login with default user and password, maybe your config is not saved.
Another thing that you could try is login from ssh to your jail, and enter to the jail (jexec 'jls jid' csh), navigate to the transmission plugin folder (/usr/pbi/transmission-amd64/etc/transmission/home) and edit "settings.json" manually to decrease the download speed.

In this file, you could see your "username" and "password(encrypted)", search for rpc-username and rpc-password fields

Hope this help.

bart1201

Cadet
Now i can login on transmission web GUI, but if i set a time shedule for the alternative speed limits, transmission doesn't switch automatically to these limits ( for example if i set a limit for 100 kB/s down and 15 kB/s up from 6:00 to 22:00 transmission doesn't switch to unlimited after 22:00 and doesn't turn the speed limits on at 6:00) and i also discovered that transmission overwrites settings.json at starting the plugin and if i edit settings.json i can't start the plugin anymore (It says shomething like "transmission data did not validate, configure it first) i am sure someone can help me with this!

(Edit: transmission was Asking for a login and password, i didn't set those, but It was still Asking for a password, the solution was to leave it blank and just press enter :rolleyes:)

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
I can confirm your original problem. It is a bug that I believe I know the source off.

In the FreeNAS webgui, you can enable or disable authentication, this correctly edits the settings.json file that transmission-daemon uses. The problem is that there are a ton of flags given to transmission-daemon during its startup.
Code:
transmission_flags="-Y -gsr 2 -b -t -P 51413 -u admin --utp -l 60 -m -o -p 9091 -L 240 "

That is from /etc/rc.conf in a FreeNAS plugins jail. The line is auto generated and it is useless to try and edit it yourself. The parameter '-t' specifiys to use authentication no matter what the config file says and to change the config file if it says otherwise. This flag makes the config file's parameter to enable / disable authentication useless.

If someone could link me to the sourcecode for the official plugins it would be very easy to find + fix. It's either in the python code that creates /usr/pbi/transmission-ARCH/etc/rc.conf, or in the rc.conf file itself. I am not sure if I should file a bug report somewhere as well for this?

bart1201

Cadet
I can confirm your original problem. It is a bug that I believe I know the source off.

In the FreeNAS webgui, you can enable or disable authentication, this correctly edits the settings.json file that transmission-daemon uses. The problem is that there are a ton of flags given to transmission-daemon during its startup.
Code:
transmission_flags="-Y -gsr 2 -b -t -P 51413 -u admin --utp -l 60 -m -o -p 9091 -L 240 "

That is from /etc/rc.conf in a FreeNAS plugins jail. The line is auto generated and it is useless to try and edit it yourself. The parameter '-t' specifiys to use authentication no matter what the config file says and to change the config file if it says otherwise. This flag makes the config file's parameter to enable / disable authentication useless.

If someone could link me to the sourcecode for the official plugins it would be very easy to find + fix. It's either in the python code that creates /usr/pbi/transmission-ARCH/etc/rc.conf, or in the rc.conf file itself. I am not sure if I should file a bug report somewhere as well for this?

I am a bit of a linux noob, But how i understand it; that Line of code always changes the config file even if you didn 't set a password to prompt for a login and password?

But i still have the problem that transmission resets the config file on Starting/stopping the plugin and that the alternative speed limit wil not switch on/off when they are sceduled to do so

(Edit: The setting i make In the freenas gui are reflected in the tansmission Gui, i still can make changes in the transmission gui, they stay there till reboot of the plugin but None of these changes are reflected in the settings.json file)

(Edit: alternative Speed limits still not working because of the same reasons as my previous post)

(Edit: now trying to run sabnzbd but the plugin isnt starting (32-bits) 'some problem occured')

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
I am a bit of a linux noob, But how i understand it; that Line of code always changes the config file even if you didn 't set a password to prompt for a login and password?

But i still have the problem that transmission resets the config file on Starting/stopping the plugin and that the alternative speed limit wil not switch on/off when they are sceduled to do so

(Edit: The setting i make In the freenas gui are reflected in the tansmission Gui, i still can make changes in the transmission gui, they stay there till reboot of the plugin but None of these changes are reflected in the settings.json file)

(Edit: alternative Speed limits still not working because of the same reasons as my previous post)

(Edit: now trying to run sabnzbd but the plugin isnt starting (32-bits) 'some problem occured')

You should check to see what those other flags mean and see if one of those if resetting Transmission's speedlimit settings.

I don't support 32bit versions anymore, and suggest you switch to 64bit if you can. Also this is not the place to bring that up. You should try to keep you threads as focused as possible.

bart1201

Cadet
i have no idea what those flags mean, maby someone knows it:

my flags:

Code:
transmission_flags="-e /usr/Downloads/Bittorrent/Torrents/transmission.log.txt -gsr 1 -B -t -p 9091 --utp -l 60 -m -P 51413 -Y -o -L 240

hope someone knows what these flags mean:D

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
are you setting the alternate speed limit in the web GUI? I'll test my setup and see if I can get it to stick.

EDIT
I can successfully set an alternative speedlimit and schedule times to use this limit, in the web GUI. they work as expected until I restart the service, then they get deleted. none of those flags seem like a culprit, might be the creation of the config file. I need to test more when I have access to a computer.

bart1201

Cadet
are you setting the alternate speed limit in the web GUI? I'll test my setup and see if I can get it to stick.

EDIT
I can successfully set an alternative speedlimit and schedule times to use this limit, in the web GUI. they work as expected until I restart the service, then they get deleted. none of those flags seem like a culprit, might be the creation of the config file. I need to test more when I have access to a computer.

I will try it as soon as possible, suddenly the transmission web GUI says it cannot find index.php, i will reinstall transmission when i have the time today

edit: after reinstallation of the plugin transmission works as normal yay!!:D:D:D

Thanks all for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.