I can't find the button to upload plugin to a manually created jail

Status
Not open for further replies.

av8rboi

Cadet
Yesterday, I installed latest build of freenas 9.3. I remember there used to be a button in the "Jails" section in freenas 9.2.1.9 for uploading plugins to manually created jails.
I can't find that button anymore in latest 9.3 build.
When I try to install plugins the normal way, the whole process gets stuck at "creating jails". So I downloaded the plugins jail template and made a local http server and created a custom jail template by pointing the mtree and .tgz urls to that.
I was successful in creating jail with that downloaded plugin jail template but I can't install plugins on it as I dont see any plugin upload button for that jail.
Kindly help me. I'll be thankful.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
This isnt possible anymore. you can't manually create plugin jails. they will only be created when you install a plugin from the repo or upload a PBI on the plugins tab.

once a plugin jails exists you can upload additional PBIs to it. a plugin jail will destroy itself if all of its plugins are deleted.

so everything from before is possible using additional steps, except for manually naming plugin jails.

av8rboi

Cadet
This isnt possible anymore. you can't manually create plugin jails. they will only be created when you install a plugin from the repo or upload a PBI on the plugins tab.

once a plugin jails exists you can upload additional PBIs to it. a plugin jail will destroy itself if all of its plugins are deleted.

so everything from before is possible using additional steps, except for manually naming plugin jails.

I used to install plugins from the "plugins" tab only but its been three months now that I am facing problems with the usual method. When I select a plugin to install, it gets downloaded, mtree gets downloaded too, but the process stops at downloading plugin template saying "an error occured". It's happening not only in 9.3 stable but also in 9.2.1.8 and 9.2.1.9.

My internet connection is totally fine.

So now I manually download the plugin jail template and manually create the jail by pointing the url to the local http server hosting the downloaded plugin jail template. Then I install the plugin on that jail. But it's not possible with 9.3.

So could you please guide me what should I be doing now to install plugins in 9.3? or should I revert back to 9.2.1.9? I really want to use the new 9.3 stable.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
if I were in your position and didn't have any plugins/jails you care about I would...
* delete all plugins
* delete all jails
* delete plugin dataset (which would delete the hidden datasets that store cached jail templates)
* install a plugin and hope it works

av8rboi

Cadet
if I were in your position and didn't have any plugins/jails you care about I would...
* delete all plugins
* delete all jails
* delete plugin dataset (which would delete the hidden datasets that store cached jail templates)
* install a plugin and hope it works
yesterday I did three clean installs of 9.2.1.8 , 9.2.1.9 and 9.3 . (I detached and destroyed volume too everytime). But in each install, the plugin installation process stops at downloading template. Sometimes it gets 68% downloaded, sometimes 52%, never getting fully downloaded. So I had no option other than manually creating jails. It used to work fine few months back.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
yesterday I did three clean installs of 9.2.1.8 , 9.2.1.9 and 9.3 . (I detached and destroyed volume too everytime). But in each install, the plugin installation process stops at downloading template. Sometimes it gets 68% downloaded, sometimes 52%, never getting fully downloaded. So I had no option other than manually creating jails. It used to work fine few months back.
sounds like the template you are downloading is messed up somehow. you could post a bug at bugs.freenas.org and have a dev follow up with you more.

I suggest sticking with 9.3 and not complicating things by trying older versions, your issue is related to the jail template downloading/installing correctly, not the freenas version.

finally I suggest deleting your jails/plugins dataset and trying to install a standard jail. this will further isolate the issue to just plugin jail template or all jail template.

zeos

Cadet
Josh, this question concerns the topic of this thread, but specifically to your video instruction for installing sabnzbd, sickbeard and couchpotato.

How does this inability to manually create plugin jails change your install instructions on your video?
I got as far as creating the download_jail, but cannot manually upload the plugins there because that option is missing.

So would your instructions work the same if I were to use a jail that was created by a plugin from the repo or an uploaded PBI from the plugins tab? Then I could just upload sabnzbd, sickbeard and couchpotato to there.

Thanks!

Steve

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Josh, this question concerns the topic of this thread, but specifically to your video instruction for installing sabnzbd, sickbeard and couchpotato.

How does this inability to manually create plugin jails change your install instructions on your video?
I got as far as creating the download_jail, but cannot manually upload the plugins there because that option is missing.

So would your instructions work the same if I were to use a jail that was created by a plugin from the repo or an uploaded PBI from the plugins tab? Then I could just upload sabnzbd, sickbeard and couchpotato to there.

Thanks!

Steve
do exactly as you said in the last paragraph. I plan on updating the YouTube video very soon, as soon as sabnzbd v0.8 is out. my blog should reflect the new method, but isn't as clear what actually needs to be done.

Status
Not open for further replies.