plugin/jail fail!

Status
Not open for further replies.

clarknova

Explorer
Freenas 9.3/9.3.1
Transmission 2.84_1
plexmediaserver 9.12.11/9.12.13

I installed FreeNAS yesterday and set up a mirror with new disks. I then installed Transmission and Plex from the plugins page in the UI and started both services.

First problem: I can't reach either jail on the network using the IP address that is displayed in the jail status page. It turns out the jails are created with an IP address assigned by FreeNAS by default, but with no default gateway or DNS, so of course their network settings are broken. I changed the default to assign jail IP settings by DHCP, and also activated DHCP in both jails. That's when I ran into the...

Second problem: Activating DHCP in the jail for the installed plugins does not effect any change in the jail's IP settings. Restarting the jail does not fix this. Restarting FreeNAS does not fix this. So I deleted both plugins and then updated FreeNAS from 9.3 to 9.3.1. After rebooting into 9.3.1 I again installed the Plex plugin. Wait for it...

Third problem: The left-side FreeNAS menu displays no plugins. Clicking Plugins>Installed in the top menu shows plexmediaserver 9.12.13, but Service Status is Stopped. It won't start. The plugin icon is missing and displays only a broken puzzle piece.

At this point I gave up and posted here.

Bonus problem: After updating Plex to 9.12.13 by using the Update button in the UI (before I deleted and reinstalled the plugin), at some point the Update button reappeared. I naively clicked on it, thinking the Plex team was hot to trot releasing two updates in a single evening. This resulted in the plex plugin being "upgraded" back to 9.12.11. The update button shortly reappeared, and I shortly thereafter deleted the plugin, as detailed above.

Please, can somebody explain this plugin madness? I only wanted DHCP, and didn't think I was doing anything wildly unsupported by pursuing it thus.

clarknova

Explorer
Are you still having issues with plugins?

I read somewhere that one must enable promiscuous mode in the vswitch for networking to work in plugins when FreeNAS is installed in a virtual machine. At that point I simply reverted to a pre-plugin snapshot and made a new plan to host those services elsewhere.

Thanks for asking.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You are correct that virtualizing FreeNAS creates additional obstacles. Just one of the many reasons we don't recommend virtualizing FreeNAS. :P

Status
Not open for further replies.