hyperthreading CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

ric

Contributor
I'm in the process of buying components for my NAS build and I'd like to ask your honest opinion whether a CPU with hyper threading is a good investment. Or save that $100 and spend on more capacity HDD. Thanks

jyavenard

Patron
There are more to the choice of a CPU than just hyper-threading.
If you're hesitating between say a pentium G3220/G3420 or the intel i3-4130, the i3 also supports AES accelerated encryption.

If choosing between say a E3-1220 or E3-1230 which are almost identical but hyper-threading; I personally don't believe it will make a difference

ric

Contributor
What i am trying say is.. I am little hesitate on Xeon E3-1200 V3 LGA 1150 whereas E3-1245 V3 it does support hyper-threading.

1x Chenbro Rm42300 chassis
4x Western Digital Red NAS Hard Drive WD30EFRX 3TB IntelliPower 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
1x SUPERMICRO MBD-X10SLH-F-O uATX Server Motherboard LGA 1150 Intel C226 DDR3 1600

jyavenard

Patron
I think you meant E3-1220V3; there's no point using a E3-1245 it adds on chip GPU which you're not going to use with freenas.

Get a E2-1230v3 then, so you don't have to keep questioning yourself

ric

Contributor
You are absolutely correct, E3-1245 V3 it has GPU chip adds on to it. According to INTEL tech support says that anything that's end with the #5 are have built-in/add-on GPU chip.

So I decided to go with the one below which is it doesn't support hyper threading but I think should be enough to handle video streaming?

Intel Intel Xeon E3-1230V3 Haswell 3.3GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1150 80W Quad-Core Server Processor BX80646E31230V3

Thanks.

cyberjock

Inactive Account

ric

Contributor
You're right on that. I have mistakenly copy the next one below it. Sorry.

erodz1892

Dabbler
Got a new evga stinger board need a cpu so does freenas actually use the hyper threading? I am getting either the i5 4690k or some i3 dual core with hyper threading I want to save some money for more hdd so if it in fact supports it then I'll go with the i3 thats a fake quad core and get an extra hdd if it doesn't I'll get the i5 true quad. Looking to replace a AMD 6800K on the current machine. I found myself doing a lot of transcoding as I share the plex with friends and family and need a peppy cpu. Thanks

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Got a new evga stinger board need a cpu so does freenas actually use the hyper threading? I am getting either the i5 4690k or some i3 dual core with hyper threading I want to save some money for more hdd so if it in fact supports it then I'll go with the i3 thats a fake quad core and get an extra hdd if it doesn't I'll get the i5 true quad. Looking to replace a AMD 6800K on the current machine. I found myself doing a lot of transcoding as I share the plex with friends and family and need a peppy cpu. Thanks

Why the hell did you buy a Z87 motherboard? It's not like that thing is a bargain bin motherboard either, 200 bucks easily buys you a nice server motherboard with ECC support.

No i5 supports ECC, so forget about it. If you need more than an i3, you need a Xeon E3.

erodz1892

Dabbler
got it for $99 used:) just the board no CPU not bad for that price. I was looking at those Xeons they are more pricier than the I5, I have around 2TB of movies and shows that I share so Ill be doing multiple streams and was looking to upgrade the current A10 6800k. I want something good that will work in the future when I add more drives and hold many more streams. I'm going to research the Xeons see what I can find

joeschmuck

Old Man
Getting back to the hyper-threading issue... FreeNAS will not benefit from HT, but a 2 cores would be nice to have. There isn't much in FreeNAS from what I've read that is multi-threaded so as long as you have a few cores, that is all that matters with respect to you specific question.

As others have pointed out, there are other factors in purchasing a CPU and these impact the overall cost and performance too.

erodz1892

Dabbler
Thanks I guess Ill skip this build all together and save the board, seems that the A10 6800K is somewhat ok for what I am using it or the performance to money is not worth upgrading to an Intel platform. Im just going to get more drives instead.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Not sure about this but the A10 series doesn't support ECC RAM, not a good thing. Also I thought I heard of a lot of folks having issues with the A10 series with respect to FreeNAS, it was a FreeBSD support issue. If going down the path of AMD, I recommend the FX-4300 because the price is right and it does work with FreeNAS/FreeBSD.

erodz1892

Dabbler
Makes sense, do you need that gpu to run all the time or you take it off after the install? Try to save some watts here. I wish there would be better mAtx and mini itx boards for the am3+ platform.

joeschmuck

Old Man
The GPU may run but the screen is a simple text screen, no real extra power utilized. When you start talking about saving power you should first of all figure out how much your electricity costs and if your FreeNAS were to pull say 80 watts, what is that in real money. And when you plan your energy efficient system, plan on a life of 5 years (only my opinion) and factory in cost of more power efficient components vs. cost or the electricity. Maybe you truly want a quiet system. Lastly make sure you know exactly what you want your NAS to be capable of supporting. Plan it out as it costs more to upgrade components if you're not happy with it than to purchase it correctly the first time.

Status
Not open for further replies.