BUILD Hardware advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicholas

Dabbler

Hi! I was up to build my own nas in order to replace this old crappy 2tb iomega home media hd cloud edition, so i was thinking about an old pc mostly useless:​
its a 500w power source​
an intel mother d945gclf2d wich has an intel atom dual core soldered.​
it has just one slot with a ddr2 512mb kingston ram​
and a cd/dvd writer.​
my investment in this case will be just the two hd red hard drives, wich represents in my country about $3000​
In any other way i'll be forced to spend about $6000 in a new motherboard, a new processor, the hard drives, 2 memory slots, coolers, etc,etc.​
So for that amount of money, it would be worth to me buying a turnkey synology nas, that it's about $6500 here​
Hope you can help me.​
Thanks in advance, and happy new year!!!​

Richman

Patron
Hi! I was up to build my own nas in order to replace this old crappy 2tb iomega home media hd cloud edition, so i was thinking about an old pc mostly useless:​
its a 500w power source​
an intel mother d945gclf2d wich has an intel atom dual core soldered.​
it has just one slot with a ddr2 512mb kingston ram​
and a cd/dvd writer.​
my investment in this case will be just the two hd red hard drives, wich represents in my country about $3000​
In any other way i'll be forced to spend about $6000 in a new motherboard, a new processor, the hard drives, 2 memory slots, coolers, etc,etc.​
So for that amount of money, it would be worth to me buying a turnkey synology nas, that it's about $6500 here​
Hope you can help me.​
Thanks in advance, and happy new year!!!​

What country do you live in? What denomination of curency are you quoting at $6000? Pesso's?
You qoted a price of $6000 for a Synology but as far as I know they don't come with HDD's and at that point you would still be further ahead with your own build.
CPU's generally come with a stock cooler so you don't need to allocate $200 centons or whatever you use for money in your galaxy for that.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
FreeNAS isn't for old hardware. It need relatively newer hardware and 8GB RAM minimum.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

gzartman

Contributor
FreeNAS isn't for old hardware. It need relatively newer hardware and 8GB RAM minimum.

You know, this is something you guys should put in BIG BOLD print as a sticky on the boards, because it is so true. However, this goes against common perception of Open Source distros. Most distros, especially Linux, can and do run quite well on holder hardware. Almost all of my production virtual machines are Centos headless (none GUI) installs and they are quite happy with 1G, and sometimes 512MB, of RAM and a core or two. Such is most definitely NOT the case with FreeNAS -- not because of the kernel, but zfs. .

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Why? Anyone that looks at the hardware requirements should be able go figure this out.

And I guess we should be glad we're not Linux huh?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Linux is typically better at certain tasks than FreeBSD, so that's a matter of opinion. I like having both tools in my tool box.

You missed my point. I was just trying to point out that FreeBSD =/= Linux, so trying to compare the two is pointless.

Richman

Patron
ok, so as a new year gift i'll be getting this nas. :)
http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.ar...skstation-ds213-usb-30-dual-core-a-pedido-_JM

the currency for us is like: us$1=ar$10

So if your conversion is correct, judging from that link I should be able to get that for about $.88 American? I'll take 100 or them.
Oh wait, I see when you translate that page to English it converts the price of $8.82 to $8,820
So that would mean it would cost me $882 American? Oh Lord, I would definitely build my own even if I had to learn how to print my own MB. And it doesn't even come with HDD's so it would cost me $1140 to get it up and running with 2 disks in a mirror, which is what it is only good for.

gpsguy

Unfortunately, FreeNAS users in Argentina don't have access to access to technology at the prices one can get in US. See message #18 in this thread from a few months back.

Status
Not open for further replies.