Will my system run 9.3?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ariggsd

Cadet
Hi, Im still fairly new to freenas but this seemed like the better place for this question since its more hardware related. Im thinking about installing 9.3 on an old home computer just as something to fool around with. It wont be doing anything huge, mainly just a small plex server for myself, BT downloader, and maybe a minecraft server for myself and some friends using the mineos plugin. The hardware is whats in question and it is as follows:
Asus P5QPL-AM Mother board
Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 2.5GHz processor
4GB DDR2-800 Ram
1x Seagate 60 GB 2.5in HDD (for os)
2x WD caviar blue 1TB 3.5in HDD (for storage)

Any ideas on if this will be able to work or not? Like I said I will be the only user on it aside from the mineos server. My main concerns are whether or not I will need another os hdd since it uses zfs on os drive now, and if 2 storage drives will be usable with zfs since ufs is no longer allowed (i think something said i needed at least 3?) Also, if I can only use 1TB total if zfs works thats fine too.

D

dlavigne

Will that system hold 8GB of RAM? That is the new minimum for 9.3.

Ariggsd

Cadet
No, its at its max now. I have seen other posts though that say it will run on less than 8GB though as long as there isnt a huge load. My main concern is my storage with zfs. Like is said its not something im dependent on for backups, its just for fun at home.

marbus90

Guru
That board does not support ECC. It will run and happily shred your data. At least it does support 8GB RAM - but don't invest anything in that system. It's not worth it.

Get something like a Dell Poweredge T20 or T110 II, Lenovo TS140 or TS440, HP Microserver Gen8 or ML310e Gen8 v2 and add one 8GB ECC DIMM to any of these systems.

Maturola

Explorer
To answer your question, Will it run? YES

Now...would you want to run it on it? most likely no, unless you are doing it for education or testing purposes. If you are going to store any valuable data, I would go with the recommendations listed before

cyberjock

Inactive Account
No, its at its max now. I have seen other posts though that say it will run on less than 8GB though as long as there isnt a huge load. My main concern is my storage with zfs. Like is said its not something im dependent on for backups, its just for fun at home.

I don't really care what people say to be honest. If you have problems you'll find nobody here will even consider helping you with any issues(including data loss) if you don't have 8GB of RAM. There's a reason we put 8GB as the minimum.

Status
Not open for further replies.