How to load igb module

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackie Lowery

Dabbler
The igb driver for my Intel Gigabit Server card isn't loaded. I'm new to FreeBSD and not sure how to load the module. I couldn't find it under /boot/kernel.

Any help would be great. If i need to download it from intel, please provide instructions on how to do make, install. I tried that, but when i run make i get this error:

"/usr/share/mk/bsd.kmod.mk", line 12: "can't find kernel source tree"

Jackie Lowery

Dabbler
also, my other card is showing up as em0 and em1, but there are no igbx devices listed under ifconfig. i thought the igb module was built-in. am i doing something wrong?

D

dlavigne

Both igb and em are Intel Gigabit drivers. It sounds like your card is using the em driver. What is the model of the card? How many NICs are in this system and what is the output of ifconfig?

D

dlavigne

Yup, that model uses igb. If ifconfig isn't seeing it, it's not getting probed during hardware boot. Anything in the BIOS that would prevent it from loading? Can you remove any of the em's to free up resources? Is it connected to the network during boot, and is the cable, port, etc. verified as working?

Jackie Lowery

Dabbler
it is hooked up to a switch. i just tried to manually load it by setting the boot option "set if_igb_load=YES", but no go. I need the em's as well b/c I'm using one of them for the lan, and i'm using the other em and the 2 igb connections as a 3Gb iscsi setup.

Jackie Lowery

Dabbler
also, i did a "dmesg | grep igb" but there's no results. almost like the driver isn't trying to load.

Dusan

Guru
The driver is compiled into the kernel, it doesn't need to load. What is the output of "pciconf -lv"?

Jackie Lowery

Dabbler
thanks for leading me in the right direction guys. the server has a two sided riser board for pci-e cards. not sure why, but after I moved the card to the other side of the riser board the igb connections are showing up now. Thanks a bunch guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.