How do I install a NIC driver when I don't have the source tree installed on FreeNAS11.3?

tony124

Cadet
I have two I211 Intel NICs and wanted to do Link Aggregation. The Link Aggregation fails when I try to set it up from the console (the nics don't show up as an option to add them Link Aggregation during the setup). I am not sure why, but I did notice that I didn't see an option for LACP support when I ran the ifconfig command:

***************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
igb0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
description: igb0
options=6403bb<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,JUMBO_MTU,VLAN_HWCSUM,TSO4,TSO6,VLAN_HWTSO,RXCSUM_IPV6,TXCSUM_IPV6>
ether 24:1c:04:77:57:25
hwaddr 24:1c:04:77:57:25
inet 172.16.10.11 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 172.16.10.255
nd6 options=9<PERFORMNUD,IFDISABLED>
media: Ethernet autoselect (1000baseT <full-duplex>)
igb1: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
description: igb1
options=6403bb<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,JUMBO_MTU,VLAN_HWCSUM,TSO4,TSO6,VLAN_HWTSO,RXCSUM_IPV6,TXCSUM_IPV6>
ether 24:1c:04:77:57:26
hwaddr 24:1c:04:77:57:26
inet 172.16.10.12 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 172.16.10.255
nd6 options=9<PERFORMNUD,IFDISABLED>
media: Ethernet autoselect (1000baseT <full-duplex>)
***************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

I wanted to update the NIC drivers to see if this would fix the issue, so I downloaded the FreeBSD drivers from Intel's site.

I read through the install notes but ran into this error when I ran the make command:
"make: "/usr/share/mk/bsd.kmod.mk" line 12: Unable to locate the kernel source tree. Set SYSDIR to override."

After reading through some articles I believe this is because I don't have the source files loaded on my build. I have been searching through the forums to load the source tree on my build, but the suggestions I try, don't appear to work.

Does anyone have any guidance on how I can update my I211 Intel NIC drivers on my FreeNAS 11.3, or load the source tree on my build?

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
You could spin up a 11.3-RELEASE jail, pkg update, pkg install the various parts of the build chain, and then git clone this branch into that jail for building the drivers from source.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I have two I211 Intel NICs and wanted to do Link Aggregation. The Link Aggregation fails when I try to set it up from the console (the nics don't show up as an option to add them Link Aggregation during the setup). I am not sure why, but I did notice that I didn't see an option for LACP support when I ran the ifconfig command:

What option were you expecting to see?

Link aggregation is not a low level device driver thing. It's a virtual networking device.

We don't recommend trying to corrupt your FreeNAS host in this manner. FreeNAS is an appliance and you may run into problems at the next update.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
@jgreco is right. If for some reason the UI does not work for you but you have console access to the system, you could try things like
Code:
ifconfig lagg0 create
ifconfig lagg0 up
ifconfig lagg0 addm <interface1>
ifconfig lagg0 addm <interface2>
ifconfig <interface1> up
ifconfig <interface2> up
ifconfig lagg0 inet 1.2.3.4 netmask 255.255.255.0

If any of these results in an error then please report back.

Possibly your lack of success with the UI is caused by not configuring the physical interfaces "up". I am not quite sure if this is supposed to be needed with current FreeNAS or if the magic below the UI should take care of that. In stock FreeBSD, which is what I am most familiar with, it is mandatory.

HTH,
Patrick

tony124

Cadet

Link aggregation is not a low level device driver thing. It's a virtual networking device.

We don't recommend trying to corrupt your FreeNAS host in this manner. FreeNAS is an appliance and you may run into problems at the next update.
I realized that I needed to delete my current

I realized I needed to blow away my NIC config so I can see the NICs as options for the LAG, and then configure the LAG from the console (since I could no longer SSH or get to the web GUI. I was able to set it up after that.

Thanks for your help everyone.

How do I mark this thread as solved?