How to install Kernel Source Tree

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

I've just setup my new FreeNAS box. It's an older Quad Xeon and some other parts that I had laying around. Unfortunately there was no integrated graphics. I purchased the cheapest modern gpu (my logic was the newer process manufacturing should use less power). It's an Nvidia 610.

I'd like to install the Nvidia driver so I can turn on all the power management. When I go to build the kernel module I get
"/usr/share/mk/bsd.kmod.mk", line 12: "can't find kernel source tree"

How does a newb install the kernel source tree?

Thank you in advance.

I'm sure the quad xeon is overkill etc but I've done my best to reduce power where possible such as turning on powerd etc and undervolting components and declocking the cpu. Just this GPU remains a power hog.

Look in the HowTo section of the forums ;)

Initially I did a search for "kernel" kernel headers, kernel source etc and nothing appropriate came up.

I've just gone back through section by section in the How-To-guides section and didn't notice anything in there. I've found how to download the whole Freenas source and build freenas from Freebsd VM but not how to install the Kernel source tree from FreeNas :-(

When I figure it out I'll put a How-To in there.

ProtoSD

MVP
It's all together, download it and look at the readme as well as the build script.

Status
Not open for further replies.