How to Install MiniDLNA on FreeNAS 9.3 (Prior to Plugin)

lord.anonymous

Dabbler
Hi!
In my /var/log/minidlna.log file, I've a fatal bug

Code:
[2015/10/21 09:06:20] upnpevents.c:423: fatal: upnpevents_selectfds: file descriptor 4067 too big for select, limit is 1024

The service minidlnad stops after...

Version: minidlna-1.1.4_1,1

I've found that:

https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports/2014-June/093531.html

But I'm unable to locate this file in my jail: upnpevents.c

Code:
find / -name "upnp*" -print

Don't find upnpevents.c

So, what can I do?

Thanks!

joeschmuck

Old Man
You have likely exceeded the kqueue limit with the number of files you are trying to service. How many files are trying to share with MiniDLNA? You can try this option to see if it works... Edit the conf file to "inotify=no" and restart the jail, see how that works for you.

Mega Man

Explorer
Thanks so much finally got around to this ! works great !

joeschmuck

Old Man
Thanks so much finally got around to this ! works great !
Glad to here it's still working. Sometimes you just never know when some support package will not be available causing an issue.

RichTJ99

Patron
Can I have Plex and MiniDLNA both share the same movies or would that cause an issue? Can two jails share the same data?

joeschmuck

Old Man
Can I have Plex and MiniDLNA both share the same movies or would that cause an issue? Can two jails share the same data?
Yes you can, although I use Plex, I will also turn on MiniDLNA to assist in troubleshooting efforts. But Plex also has a built in DLNA service so typically you do not need to run MiniDLNA if you are running Plex, you just need to enable the DLNA service.

maxbenn

Dabbler
Hi,

Your guide is really good, but a small detail is missing. Well.... It was missing for me. Maybe it is because of an OS update or anything.

19a) cd /usr/ports/ports-mgmt/pkg
19b) make deinstall reinstall

and then I could proceed with step 20)

Hope I could help some of you! :)

cheers, maxbenn

Andy Graves

Dabbler
Hi there,
minidlna is listeded as a plugin on the FreeNAS project website under the features plugins section. However minidlna does not show up in the actual plugins list? Am i missing something?
Thanks
Andy

maxbenn

Dabbler
Hi there,
minidlna is listeded as a plugin on the FreeNAS project website under the features plugins section. However minidlna does not show up in the actual plugins list? Am i missing something?
Thanks
Andy
Try to open the shell of the MiniDLNA Jail and type the following commands:

cd /usr/ports/ports-mgmt/pkg
make deinstall reinstall
pkg install minidlna

confirm everything with (y)

the deinstall/reinstall process may take some time

It should work from there. Let me know if it worked for you!

Cheers, maxbenn

joeschmuck

Old Man
Hi there,
Thanks
Andy
Andy,
I'm a bit surprised it's still listed on the website because iXsystems dropped plugin support quite a while ago for MiniDLNA. The problem has to do with the fact that it was a terrible port job to FreeBSD. So it is not provided at this point in time as a plugin but it use to be.

19a) cd /usr/ports/ports-mgmt/pkg
19b) make deinstall reinstall

and then I could proceed with step 20)
What version of FreeNAS are you running and are you running in a VM? I just want to ensure I know what your situation is before I look further into it.

maxbenn

Dabbler
What version of FreeNAS are you running and are you running in a VM? I just want to ensure I know what your situation is before I look further into it.
Yes, it is a VM.... Otherwise I couldn't Add a Jail. It said "Couldn't add Jail.... smth smth smth dark side". As soon as I'm home, I'll install it on another jail and upload some screenshots.

cheers, maxbenn

Andy Graves

Dabbler
Running FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201512121950 on bare metal

joeschmuck

Old Man
Running FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201512121950 on bare metal
Sorry Andy, that part of the question was for @maxbenn . As for you, you have a few options, install MiniDLNA manually in a jail or use the Plex Plugin.

joeschmuck

Old Man
es, it is a VM.... Otherwise I couldn't Add a Jail.
Just so we are both saying the same thing... Your FreeNAS installation is installed on a VM, maybe it's VMWare or some other Hypervisor? And when you do get home and can provide the data required so I can replicate your scenario, I will check into it the problem is just with your particular setup or if I need to change the instructions for everyone due to a change required to build the final product.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Thanks for the video, now I can see what you are doing and I can isolate the problem which actually looks like, off the top of my head, the jail needs to be upgraded but I'll know more later today. But for now the wife wants to head out to the movies.

IanWorthington

Contributor
... the user has two options for simple DLNA support:
1) Install and use the Plex Plugin which also has a DLNA service.
2) Manually install MiniDLNA into a jail.

-Mark

I use Plex but it won't play my previously ripped DVD ISOs (by design, apparently), so I'm looking for something to cope with those as I really don't want to reencode them all.

Can I install MiniDLNA into the same jail as I have Plex in, or should I use a different one?

Ian

joeschmuck

Old Man
Ian,
MiniDLNA is just a simple DLNA server, Plex also has one built in that you can enable and it will work fine. As for your encoded videos, DLNA does not transcode so unless the videos are in a format which your device can read, it will not solve your problem.

joeschmuck

Old Man
@maxbenn
While watching your video I noticed that you ended up installing a VirtualBox jail, not a FreeBSD 9.3 jail. I suspect the template "freenas-standard-9.3-RELEASE.tgz" you downloaded is corrupt so you need to locate that file and delete it and then try again. I had no problems creating a "standard" jail on a clean install in VMWare Workstation 10. You already have one standard jail and you have two VB jails.

But while that was your initial problem, I have found other issues with the current freebsd template being out of date but that is not a real shocker and we have seen this before in this thread. I will try to update this but likely just point to another posting once I have all the details figured out to make clear instructions. Like I said, not a new thing.

Hope this helps.

EDIT: So my VM was giving me troubles and I ended up just using my real metal machine. The installation instructions still work as written. Step 21a has the user upgrade if required and of course it is required. I'm not sure why my VM was giving me crap but maybe I have something hogging some of my resources, if it wasn't for that, I'd have answered this much earlier today.

Last edited:

maxbenn

Dabbler
I suspect the template "freenas-standard-9.3-RELEASE.tgz" you downloaded is corrupt so you need to locate that file and delete it and then try again.
ok... it wirks now....
what I have done is:
1) Deleted all jails I had
2) change the "jail" directory in the configuration
and then i could add all the jails with the standard template...

MiniDLNA is installing at the moment... :D

Last edited: