Not able to configure MiniDLNA plugin

Status
Not open for further replies.

braajun

Cadet
Hi guys,

I'm pretty new to FreeNAS, but it looks a great product!
I did a fresh install of 8.2.0-RELEASED-P1 a got a working system with CIFS. Now, I wanted DLNA-support for my Samsung TV.

I created the jail and the Plugins services starts. Next, I installed the minidlna-1.0.22_3-amd64 plugin. It installs just fine, but after that, there should me an entry under 'Services -> Plugins -> MiniDLNA' where you can configure MiniDLNA. The problem is that it's not visible! So I have no way to confige MiniDLNA! :-(

Can someone please help me? It's much appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Brian

venkavis

Explorer
Hi

I also had the same problem, But then when I looked at the logs it seemed that this was something related to the ip address I gabe for the jaol.

For example my my freenas server has an ip address of 192.168.0.120
So I thought I will give the next ip as the free one and hence I configured as 192.168.0.121 and set the media directory.
When I installed the miniDLNA Would not add under the services and gave an error when I started the plug in.

Hence I change the IP address to 192.168.0.160 for jail and then deleted the plug in and then installed the miniDLNA again. Now It got added underneath the plugin tree and also started.

So the above steps may solve your problem.

Even if it started, Now I have another problem like ' I am not able to find the dlna server from my dlna client'. I am searching the forums for an answer.

Hope somebody out there with the experience in DLNA, miniDLNA and freeNAS can answer step by step config and how this really benefits.

For now even though the miniDLNA is running, I am just using the CIFS share to connect to my windows media center and PC's and accessing the content like Music, Pictures and Videos.

~Venkat

venkavis

Explorer
--Update--
A little progress from before. All I did was I changed the settings to rediscover on start and then the scan interval to 90 seconds.
I installed an app UPNP PLayer on my google TV and now I am able to see the miniDLNA as one of the devices.
But when I browse, I don't find any media.

Hopefully somebody is able to answer.

~Venkat V

jsmakkar

Dabbler
Hi guys,

I'm pretty new to FreeNAS, but it looks a great product!
I did a fresh install of 8.2.0-RELEASED-P1 a got a working system with CIFS. Now, I wanted DLNA-support for my Samsung TV.

I created the jail and the Plugins services starts. Next, I installed the minidlna-1.0.22_3-amd64 plugin. It installs just fine, but after that, there should me an entry under 'Services -> Plugins -> MiniDLNA' where you can configure MiniDLNA. The problem is that it's not visible! So I have no way to confige MiniDLNA! :-(

Can someone please help me? It's much appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Brian

I have the exactly same problem. MiniDLNA is not visible - when I try to turn it on I get the message "MiniDLNA data did not validate, configure it first."

Rks

Dabbler
brian, venkat and jsmakkar - will help to check the other thread in this space http://forums.freenas.org/showthread.php?7899-miniDLNA-issue

1. If minidlna gets installed without errors then it will appear on the tree - perhaps needs a reboot.
2. If you are able to see it on your DLNA device but not any media filesthen it is a mount point issue or a media directory problem. minidlna can only access subdirectories of the jail and if the media files are elsewhere you will need to mount that folder with the minidlna media folder.
3. MiniDLNA did not validate seems to be an issue of the settings. In the other thread i have covered how to use the shell to start minidlna. Using the shell will solve your configuration issue if you do not get the plugin in the tree. You can also look at the youtube videos for configuring plugins. They cover it well.

venkavis

Explorer
brian, venkat and jsmakkar - will help to check the other thread in this space http://forums.freenas.org/showthread.php?7899-miniDLNA-issue

1. If minidlna gets installed without errors then it will appear on the tree - perhaps needs a reboot.
2. If you are able to see it on your DLNA device but not any media filesthen it is a mount point issue or a media directory problem. minidlna can only access subdirectories of the jail and if the media files are elsewhere you will need to mount that folder with the minidlna media folder.
3. MiniDLNA did not validate seems to be an issue of the settings. In the other thread i have covered how to use the shell to start minidlna. Using the shell will solve your configuration issue if you do not get the plugin in the tree. You can also look at the youtube videos for configuring plugins. They cover it well.

Hi

Incidentally I also checked the other thread and was able to resolve the problem.

The issue was my mountpoint was set using the full directory path using the the browse tree. Instead as seen on the other thread, I changed it to /media and now I am able to see all the folders and meta data now.

Basically on freenas my media folder is /mnt/zpool/music and this contains hundreds of folders and subfolders that hold all my mp3. I used this as a source as a mount point to .media within the jail.

I also applied the chmod 777 on the media directory by using the shell in Jail. I did not create any new folder say like /mpe, rather used the media folder that 'media' that already existed.

I will spend a little more time to see why I don't see the actual songs when I see the meta data like Albums, Artis etc, But not 'All Music'. I am using Samsung AllShare as a DLNA Client on my Windows PC.

Since its a large # of files maybe the system is still processing. Is there a log file or something that can tell me what minidlna is doing?

Thanks for the pointers so far.

~Venkat V

paleoN

Wizard
Since its a large # of files maybe the system is still processing. Is there a log file or something that can tell me what minidlna is doing?
From inside the jail:
Code:
tail /var/log/minidlna.log

venkavis

Explorer
I checked the log and it successfully scanned the 9500+ files and when I look at the dlna client (Samsung AllShare) I see all the playlists, artists and albums
But when I drill down I dont see any of the actual files. What am I missing?

Rks

Dabbler
I have a Samsung TV and a PS3. The Samsung TV does not recognize many files. There is another thread on changing the header file to allow Allshare to recognize files. But a bit too involved for me. I think minidlna is too basic for these things.

I am going to install Serviio today and check.

cadenas

Cadet
hello,

I have the same problem, do not I get on the list of plugins.

how I can fix the problem?

Thank you.

sorry for the English, the translator of google.

Mgmarceau

Cadet
For me, I was having the "firefly did not validate. Please configure it first."

CLASSIC case of RTFM :) The error is just that, configure it first! Go to Services - Plugins - firefly

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.