How to install FileZilla Server in jail

Status
Not open for further replies.

swbartley

Explorer
I'm trying to install filezilla server into a jail and share the volumes I have created. I know there is a built in ftp in freenas however I was hoping someone has installed filezilla and can provide a little guidance.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
What benefit does FileZilla server have over the FTP we already have?

Alvin

Explorer
FileZilla server is MS Windows software. You'd need to install the virtualbox jail for that, and buy a Windows license.
The FileZilla server installer contains malware. It's a lot of hassle while there's a perfectly good FTP server in FreeNAS itself.

swbartley

Explorer
What benefit does FileZilla server have over the FTP we already have?

I just prefer to use FileZilla if at all possible its something that I have been using for a long time along with having more than one default option. I have nothing against the pre-installed FTP

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
There is no reason to install filezilla. Ftp server are all the same. Send data and receive data is all the sever needs to do. The client and interface you interact with it probably the important part that you are use to.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo

Alvin

Explorer
That's not exactly fair, sir, nor is it particularly accurate.

The truth is here: https://forum.filezilla-project.org/viewtopic.php?t=31935

No, it is very accurate. Just try downloading it from Sourceforge. Chrome will block your download.
You can also try installing it. Your Windows installation will be crawling with malware before you know it.

We're talking about the official download here. No third-party sites.

The last time I tried FileZilla server, it infected my computer. FileZilla client is the same (on Windows). I've once documented the use of FTP for customers and advised using FileZilla. Once they started to get malware infections, I needed to retract that document fast.

You were right to go looking on the FileZilla forums. Take a look at the 'General' section and count the number of topics about malware in the official installer. It really is a shame.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
No, it is very accurate. Just try downloading it from Sourceforge. Chrome will block your download.
You can also try installing it. Your Windows installation will be crawling with malware before you know it.

We're talking about the official download here. No third-party sites.

The last time I tried FileZilla server, it infected my computer. FileZilla client is the same (on Windows). I've once documented the use of FTP for customers and advised using FileZilla. Once they started to get malware infections, I needed to retract that document fast.

You were right to go looking on the FileZilla forums. Take a look at the 'General' section and count the number of topics about malware in the official installer. It really is a shame.

Bullcrap.

https://forum.filezilla-project.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=36762

https://forum.filezilla-project.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=36662

Both say the same thing. The Sourceforge installer has the option of providing free stuff. Stuff that is being flagged as Malware. I have been, and still use Filezilla. I also download the Filezilla installer and NOT the sourceforge installer, and I have yet to ever be flagged. I've also helped more than 20 people from all over the world and all sorts of antivirus software, and *none* have ever flagged the Filezilla installer as malware.

Attention to detail.

Again, it is not the Filezilla installer that is being flagged. It is the Sourceforge installer. There is a BIG difference. ;)

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Sourceforge is the problem here, not Filezilla.

mjws00

Guru
The real problem is recommending what was once safe reliable software to less computer savvy folks. They invariably infect themselves with the sourceforge garbage as it is the "recommended" download on the site. LAME.

It's easy for a pro to avoid it. But the eula screen is very misleading for a normal layperson. They are trained that if you say no to the eula the install ends.

I was definitely pissed the first time my client infected themselves with a program I use and mentioned. BLECH.

Status
Not open for further replies.