How to determine which drive failed

Status
Not open for further replies.

mudshark

Contributor
Build FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201502110455
Platform AMD A6-6400K APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics
Memory 7342MB

FreeNAS running really well but before I actually put it into service I am doing more testing.

Today's test: Manually fail a drive and watch what happens.

Running (4) 3T drives in RAID-10. Manually disable 1 drive, and
* All data still accessible. CHECK!
* Email alert recv'd. CHECK!

So far, so good, but now if I try to look at the GUI for details - such as which drive needs to be replaced - no matter which option I select, all I get is "Sorry, an error occurred".

The recv'd email is not much better: "The volume RAID10 (ZFS) state is DEGRADED: One or more devices has been removed by the administrator. Sufficient replicas exist for the pool to continue functioning in a degraded state."

I figured I ought to power down / restart the unit to regain GUI access but by pressing the power button (for a 'controlled' shutdown) all that happens (for abt 45 min so far) is the screen rapidly scrolling I/O errors.

From here what to do?
Should I remove power to shut it off and hope I can get back into the GUI?

More importantly, Where ought FreeNAS tell me which drive to look at?

Thx all,
RG

D

dlavigne

Sounds like something else is going on. How did you manually fail the drive? Anything happening in /var/log/messages?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
If you failed the drive by unplugging it from the system, that is NOT an appropriate test. In fact, the manual tells you so. ;)

I did the same thing when I first played with FreeNAS. I had one of those "wtf" moments too. The reality is that test really isn't particularly accurate.

mudshark

Contributor
I failed the drive by yanking the data cable. I'm not sure what an "appropriate test" is...
All I wanted to see is
1- how the system will tell me there is a problem with a drive and
2- tell me which one.

Eventually the machine did restart by itself (w/o any drastic measures).
The GUI is up and running, all data is accessible from the network AND I can see which drive is now gone under STORAGE>VIEW DISKS.

So, my test was a success (inasmuch as I accomplished what I set out to do) but I am intrigued...

What would an appropriate and accurate test show us?

Thanks, RG

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.