How to copy/paste RSA key?

Z300M

Guru
Since I cannot get rsync PULL transfers using Module mode to work in FreeNAS 11.3-U1 (as I have described in another thread), I want to use rync over SSH, BUT how do I copy and paste my RSA key when copy has been disabled in the FreeNAS shell?

copy has been disabled in the FreeNAS shell?
CTRL-Insert (to copy within the Shell)
SHIFT-Insert (to paste within the Shell)

However, there's a problem with the Shell atm as described here. The workaround is to SSH in with Putty or similar.

Z300M

Guru
I'd been trying that using the Chrome browser without success. But copy and paste does work when I

(a) use Firefox

and

(b) use the dedicated Insert key and not the shared Insert/0 key on my "Gateway 2000" keyboard with F-keys where they belong (on the Left).

HOWEVER, as has been pointed out, the copy itself has problems.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Use PuTTY. An in-browser "terminal emulator" is invariably janky.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Use PuTTY.
...or, if using Mac, Linux, *BSD, or even Windows 10, just run ssh freenas_IP in a terminal window--no need to install extra software.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
...or, if using Mac, Linux, *BSD, or even Windows 10, just run ssh freenas_IP in a terminal window--no need to install extra software.

Not all of those get you easy or obvious cut and paste, or are problem-free. The poster appeared to already be using Windows.

Z300M

Guru
Use PuTTY. An in-browser "terminal emulator" is invariably janky.
I can't get puTTY on the Linux box to give me access to the FreeNAS machine -- even using the new password I just set on the FreeNAS machine.

Danb35 said:

Using ssh freenas_IP, I can get into <user> on the FreeNAS machine but not root -- and it seems that I need to get in as root to read that rsa key.

Last edited:

danb35

Hall of Famer
I can get into <user> on the FreeNAS machine but not root
Either log in as a non-privileged user and then su to root, or change the SSH service settings to allow root logins.

Z300M

Guru
Code:
% su
su: Sorry