How do you do NAS backups?

How do you do NAS backups?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Trying to get a feel for how people backup their data...

If you want another option, just mention it and I'll add it. Very curious to see how most people do their backups(if any).

scurrier

Patron
Maybe you should specify whether people are backing up their client or their NAS. Based on the choices I assume NAS but technically these could apply to either.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Done!

scurrier

Patron
Wish I could say I do something other than manual copying. Some day...

Can't wait to figure out my FreeNAS build.

SmallGuy

Guru
Maybe you should specify whether people are backing up their client or their NAS. Based on the choices I assume NAS but technically these could apply to either.
The question is about the NAS backup, not your client backup or your important data.
Regarding my actual hardware you can guess what I vote. ;)
Despite that, I have tried Rsync (over ssh), and it rocks.

Neil Whitworth

Dabbler
At the moment I don't :( ...

..but I am planning on getting another disk soon and setting up zfs replication for key data

Knowltey

Patron
I have one computer on the side that I RSync to from time to time and usually store offsite, then I have a pair of manual copied backups on site as well.

ser_rhaegar

Patron
I replicate snapshots from an HP Microserver Gen8 FreeNAS machine to a VM on my ESXi server. Not too worried about the backup machine being a VM, it's only task is to receive the backups and I loaded it up: 16GB ECC RAM, 4CPU VM with an M1015 attached via VT-d. Backups are rotated offsite every 30 days. Pool is a 4 drive mirror on both systems.

tio

Contributor
Crashplan is a nonstarter for the size of the array i have. Its like a 10th and last solution in the event of a failure of my pool.

Manual backups at the moment as i don't have the money for a replicated setup. Got a couple of mirrored 4TB disks which do the job perfectly.

trey22

Dabbler
My FreeNAS box only has 2TB capacity (expanding to 4 next month), so I manually copy to an external 2TB hard drive.

I'd like to setup a 2nd FreeNAS box solely for archiving, and using an external drive for off-site storage.

bitracer

Cadet
I have an external portable HDD connected to my laptop and use the btsync plugin to synch important folders from the nas to it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

marcevan

Patron
Ubuntu with NFS mount(s) to freeNAS media. Then crashplan on Ubuntu to those mounts runs flawlessly uploading to crashplan @ ~1.4 Mbps

I didn't like the hassle of headless within freeNAS that needed tweaking from the head side.

Bt
Trying to get a feel for how people backup their data...

If you want another option, just mention it and I'll add it. Very curious to see how most people do their backups(if any).
BtSync is a recent option.

DaveF81

Explorer
I use rsync to my old NAS.

ZFS snapshot to an very old ReadyNAS NV+ I had laying around hourly and incremental rsync (save deleted) to same NAS weekly.

flanello

Cadet
Home setup. I use rsync to external disk.
I'm experimenting with bup and obnam.

Are you using crashplan with an additional encryption or do you trust the crashplan encrpytion?

leenux_tux

Patron
mixture of rsync and robocopy. I like to keep multiple backups on various machines.

thewiep

Dabbler
I have 2 FreeNAS servers with similar specs.
On my main I have Periodic Snapshots setup for all pools, then I also rsync my main dataset to a "vault" dataset on my main FreeNAS weekly.
The main dataset on my main FreeNAS is also uploaded to CrashPlan through a CrashPlan jail.
I also rsync my main dataset of my main FreeNAS to a "vault" dataset on my backup FreeNAS weekly.

I now plan to add a rotating scheme with USB discs to which I will backup my main dataset of my main FreeNAS.
ZFS on the USB with copies=2 to cover discs errors.
I only need to look into plugging in - starting rsync - unplugging without issues, I had this running on Ubuntu but this isn't the same :)

Status
Not open for further replies.