Hi everyone, I'm migrating from OMV and having problems.

neverlander

Cadet
Hi everyone, I'm a newbie to TrueNAS (migrating from OpenMediaVault), and faced with two issues.
First, I'd like to make a linear RAID (e.g. 2 HDD of 2.0TB = 4.0TB), but system allows create only "mirror" or "stripe" RAIDs. How can I work it out (if it's possible at all)?
Second, I'm trying to build a system that will download media with Transmission and then stream them into my local network via DLNA server (Plex). But I don't understand how set it up in this system (OMV worked fine for me). All those jails, pools etc scares me.
Can anyone help?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Hi everyone, I'm a newbie to TrueNAS (migrating from OpenMediaVault), and faced with two issues.
First, I'd like to make a linear RAID (e.g. 2 HDD of 2.0TB = 4.0TB), but system allows create only "mirror" or "stripe" RAIDs. How can I work it out (if it's possible at all)?
Second, I'm trying to build a system that will download media with Transmission and then stream them into my local network via DLNA server (Plex). But I don't understand how set it up in this system (OMV worked fine for me). All those jails, pools etc scares me.
Can anyone help?

Welcome to the forums!

First, I'd like to make a linear RAID (e.g. 2 HDD of 2.0TB = 4.0TB),

This would be conventionally described by storage people as a "RAID 0" or perhaps concatenation/spanning, depending on whether there's interleave, and in ZFS, the closest thing is represented by a "pool consisting of a stripe of single-disk vdevs". I know the RedHat people have a liking for making up their own bespoke terms, but "linear RAID" is going to make anyone else without that specific experience go "wtf is that".

You may wish to head on over to

and get up to speed; this will explain what a pool is. A jail is just a term for "container"; FreeBSD invented userspace containers before Linux did, and FreeNAS/TrueNAS CORE support a curated ecosystem of pre-existing ones, such as Plex.