Heya - just taking the plunge

Heya,

I'm middle-aged, semi-computer literate, chap whose kinda interested in making my home frictionless for my young (but growing-up fast) family to use computers.

I've been interested in the idea of a NAS for a while, and over the last couple of years, whilst renovating our house, I've put a reasonable amount of CAT5e around, partly to enable a backbone for multiple wi-fi nodes (lots of old exterior walls and steel beams that sap signals), and partly with the idea of plonking a NAS on there as a media server, to sync photos from the plethora of devices we use these days, and lastly to back-up local data (mostly 'save games' and some homework) from our desktops and laptops. A couple of years ago I took a first step setting up a basic OpenMedia Vault which I run as a backup for photos (so I already do 3 copies (2 on-site and 1 offsite (everytime we visit the in-laws) - so my backup habits, whilst not exemplary are I think heading in the right direction. I intend to keep the OMV as backup of photos for the foreseeable.

My reason for joining the forum today?
The purchase of a second hand server rack, which looks like it has the bones of a decent place to explore FreeNAS - SM X10SLL-f, Xeon E3-1270 v3, 16Gb of ECC DDR3, 350W gold SM PSU. I've a couple of 2 TB NAS (lightly used) rated HDDs and an 120Gb SSD that I've spare having upgraded my daily drive Desktop. I'm going to rehouse in all in a spare desktop case, and have a bunch of Noctua fans lying around so, airflow and temps and noise should be OK.

Having glances the hardware guides of recent years a few times, I'd casually been looking for a X11SLL or X10SLL, and on seeing this one pop up, i dropped in a offer and bish-bash-bosh for better or for worse I'm on my way to a NAS! I know the CPU is a bit more than perhaps necessary, but the price was pretty reasonable, and the convenience of a working mobo / CPU / RAM is IMO worth it (I enjoy building PCs from second hand parts, but I've had problems buying separate components in the past - but you should know I am one of those folks with a X58 X5675 running at 4.5Gz - mostly for the fun of it).

Anyway - howdy. I've a raft of questions, but I'll have a look around and see if anyone's already answered them.

Ta!