Finally took the plunge!

Status
Not open for further replies.

F1aX

Dabbler
Hello!

I've occasionally been reading this forum for years now, and now i finally took the plunge and set up my own FreeNAS server!
My initial plan was to get one in about a year when our new house is ready, but unfortunately I started to get a little bit worried about my data. (yeah, my wife's data too)

So, after reading through the forums i got the following components:

ASRock Mainboard C2750D4I
2 X Kingston 8 GB ECC DDR3 DIMM SDRAM KVR16E11/8I
6 X Western Digital Red WD20EFRX 2TB (raidz-2)
Fractal Design NODE 304

Additionally I purchased an UPS, APC Back-UPS Pro 550.

Install & Setup
The install was pretty straight forward. I put the image on an usb-stick and booted with no further issues.

When the system had booted, it took no more than 10min to set everything up. I've seen all the videos from iXSystems on Youtube, so navigating the menus was a piece of cake.

Plugin & Jails
I installed some of the plugins from the plugins menu. (You can't screw this up, can you?)
I also set up one jail manually, with this AWESOME thing called SICKRAGE. (Really nice fork of Sickbeard!)

My system has been up for 6 weeks now, and everything is working perfectly. The 9.3 update came out about 2 weeks after my install, so I applied it via the web interface. No issues.

All that I've done would not have been so easy without this forum so, THANK YOU!

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Congratulations on a good hardware selection. Enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.