HELP ZFS Pool data recovery

Dawson

Explorer
The GUI is probably parsing the output of zpool status -v, and if it hits any instance of the "Permanent errors" or a non-zero number in the READ/WRITE/CKUM column, it interprets this as "UNHEALTHY". (Which is what you see on the GUI's Dashboard or Pools page.)

Just my guess.

Not sure what the explanation is for seeing ~140 checksum errors for all 3 drives.

The permanent error for Tank/Data/windowsfiles:<0x1> suggests metadata corruption for the dataset itself. (Not any specific file.)

No worries. It'll all get wiped out once I get my hardware. As of right now, I have multiple backups made. Life is good

Dawson

Explorer
What would you guys recommend (keep in mind it will still be running on a vm, but this time I'll do virtualization right.) TrueNAS Core or TrueNAS Scale? Its primary purpose is to simply be a NAS, and maybe down the road, I'll use the plex plugin....unless that sucks. pros and cons to each?

Davvo

MVP
@Davvo, my security team can only hold back the FreeBSD fanboys for so long. You need to run for an exit while you still have time. GO! NOW! Before it's too late!

giphy.gif

Dawson

Explorer
Let's say I run plex on a different vm, so no plugins. What is better for my use case?

Etorix

Wizard

danb35

Hall of Famer
I'll use the plex plugin....unless that sucks.
Plugins as a system suck. If you want an ecosystem where you can "point and click" to install additional software on your NAS, the only viable option there is apps, which means SCALE. Jails (which are a FreeBSD, and therefore a CORE, thing) are solid, and if you're willing to install software manually (or using a script) in a jail, that can be a very solid solution. Plex in particular runs well in a jail; I did that for several years though I'm now on SCALE.

If what you want is primarily a storage server, CORE is the far more mature and performant solution at this time.