Help Upgrading Old FreeNAS Setup

JonnyAlpha

Contributor
Hi;

I need some help upgrading my old FreeNAS setup (I built in about 5 years ago), the PSU died so I upgraded the hardware using a SuperMicro X7DVL-E motherboard, XEON L5335 CPU and 16GB 667Mhz FBDIMM.

I have purchased a SH 40GB SSD Drive to act as the FreeNAS Boot Drive and I will be transferring my existing 1TB WD HDDs. My old FreeNAS used an 8GB USB stick which I still have.

How do I go about transferring my old setup to the new setup. I am trying to follow the guide here but I am getting a little lost.
In the upgrading section of the FreeNAS documentation here it seems to assume that the user is upgrading using the same hardware setup (which I am not). As I am not upgrading my old setup how do I transfer my old to a new? Do I do a fresh install of FreeNAS on the new setup and then transfer the HDDs from my old device and plug them into the new. Before I do this I need to save my existing config and copy the config file ? This will mean putting a new PSU in my old setup?

Am I on the right track?

Background
I started a thread on here regarding upgrading my old FreeNAS system using an Intel Server Board that I had been donated. Long story short, whilst doing some initial test it was working so I ordered 16GB ECC Ram and a 40GB SSD Drive but then the motherboard started to play up and died. I replaced it with a like for like and that was DOA so after getting a refund I opted for an old SuperMicro X7DVL-E that would take my memory and CPU.
I have managed to get this mobo to boot so I am now ready to get going with the upgrade.

Last edited:

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
so I upgraded the hardware using a SuperMicro X7DVL-E motherboard, XEON L5335 CPU and 16GB 667Mhz FBDIMM.
This is an upgrade? It may not be new enough for the latest version of FreeNAS to run. Some people have had problems with old hardware.
How do I go about transferring my old setup to the new setup. I am trying to follow the guide here but I am getting a little lost.
What version of FreeNAS were you using / version you are moving to? If the versions are too far from one another, you will need to make steps in between due to database format changes.
it seems to assume that the user is upgrading using the same hardware setup (which I am not).
It shouldn't matter if the hardware is different, but the thing that might be causing you trouble is if the old system was a different software version.
but then the motherboard started to play up and died. I replaced it with a like for like and that was DOA
That happens when you are using such old hardware. You might want to consider something newer.

I really can't make any general statements about what you can do to migrate to newer hardware without having a better understanding of what you had before. Please review this guide for some ideas of the kind of hardware and software details you should provide:

Forum Guidelines
https://www.ixsystems.com/community/threads/forum-guidelines.45124/

JonnyAlpha

Contributor
Well I had some trouble trying to get the system to boot from USB, it has some crazy setup. A whole load of devices are listed however on the first 1 - 9 are available for boot. You have to select one and then press 'X' to remove it and then you are able to move another device into the boot menu and move it to the to of the list :smile:

Just booted into FreeNAS without my HDDs attached, now going to try with them attached and hooked up to LAN.

JonnyAlpha

Contributor
Ok so its working.
Looks like I was on FreeNAS 8.3.0, so what would my upgrade options be?

Build
FreeNAS-8.3.0-RELEASE-p1-x64 (r12825)