Fresh new FreeNAS with new drives but like the old setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dezufnoC

Cadet
GM FreeNAS people.
I have just built a true FreeNAS machine (HP ProLiant ML10, 16 gig ECC RAM, 64 gig SSD (boot drive) and (4) 6TB HGST NAS drives). My old setup was a no frills out of compliance pc that would cause anyone here with any real knowledge of FreeNAS builds to throw up in their mouth :)
But for me it worked flawlessly...I just ran out of drive space. I have already backed up my movies and tv shows to a separate drive so my data is good and will probably be reassigned to something else once the new machine is up n running. I would like to download my config and upload it to the new machine. Can this be done if the new build has a different drive configuration as the old? Old machine had (2) 2 TB striped drves and new will be a Z2 configuration. If If it can be done I would assume the process would go as follows:

1 - fresh install of FreeNAS 11.1 rc4
2 - upgrade old machine to FreeNAS 11.1 rc4
3 - save config
4 - upload new config to new machine
5 - setup drive configuration
6 - create users/groups and storage just like old machine

Please let me know if this would work and/or if there are holes in my thought process (which I am sure there are)

dezufnoC

Cadet
After some more reading I think I have answered my own question. I will go ahead and create from scratch so as to not break anything with the upgrade to 11.1 from my old machine. Mods... please delete.

Status
Not open for further replies.