Hello there ! Hop down the rabbit hole...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bkomnimon

Cadet
and join the tea party of my mind sir and madams :)

My name is Mark or Bunny. I'm a silly guy but can be serious when comes to things that interest me. I'm not that familiar with Linux but I'm wanting to learn a few key things due to my exposure to parts. Trying to figure LDAP and open source storage is my current goals.

I used to work with CCC&TI's Regional VMware academy as a background teacher assistant/ tech support ,part time while going as a student, for the participant's taking our classes online. Now I work there as an evening tech part time there.

Anyway they used Openfiler to make iSCSI luns with in their virtual environment and well I been meaning to make my own storage box.

Spec below it bare ram I know but just testing before ram upgrade and get hard drives around black Friday.

System Name FreeNas
Version # FreeNAS-8.3.1-RELEASE-p2-x64 (r12686+b770da6_dirty)

Model HP Pavillion a6357c

CPU AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 47 °C
RAM 2.00 GB Single-Channel DDR2 @ 376MHz (6-6-6-18)
Slot #1 Type DDR2 Size 2048 MBytes
Manufacturer Nanya Technology Max Bandwidth PC2-6400 (400 MHz)

Motherboard ECS Nettle2 (Socket M2 )
One PCI Express x16
One PCI Express x1
Two PCI

Hard Drives
USB 4gb with Free Nas image
156GB Seagate ST316081 5AS SCSI Disk Device (ATA) 39 °C
156GB Seagate ST316081 5AS SCSI Disk Device (ATA) 33 °C
156GB Seagate ST316081 5AS SCSI Disk Device (ATA) 34 °C

NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller (onboard) 100mb :/

Any pointers I'm open to suggestions. I thinking about going with red 3tb drive maybe 2 if budget can stand. Also got to get a GB card for this probably maybe a raid card.

As far as setup just using iSCSI for now (xp pro and win 7 pros so isci initiators) right now just one at time haven't had the whole network up testing the connections.

Yatti420

Wizard
Welcome to FreeNAS!

Is your primary network only fast ethernet capable 100 Mbit/s? Alot more ram if you plan on using ZFS.. With your background I'm sure you are reading the manual already..

http://www.freenas.org/images/resources/freenas8.3.1/freenas8.3.1_guide.html

Having a gigabit network and alot more ram would be my primary focus..

Edit: Whoops thought you were up on 9x.. I amended the freenas guide link..

Bkomnimon

Cadet
My primary is only 100 Mbit/s however I've got a small back side gigabit network just not gigabit card for this one yet. Sadly it's just a 2008ish desktop so max is 8gb ram just running disk extents for now. Yep I've glanced over a few sections for late night reading :)

9.x was only beta at time and I didn't have a spare system. Once I feel comfortable I'll update it.

Should I just got hardware raid for the critical stuff eventually due to the low ram?

Status
Not open for further replies.