Hello From Another FreeNAS Beginner

Status
Not open for further replies.

fbf916

Cadet
Firstly...I've read through the hardware guide.

Decided to get into FreeNAS by converting an old gaming rig. Been successful with it, and plan on putting together a proper one based on community best-practices (hardware guide). Primary use at the moment is simple file server (Windows-based). Later on, will experiment with media services and personal cloud storage for remote access to files. Up to now, I've already gone through a motherboard replacement, encrypted pool recovery, and about to do a bad drive replacement. I'm impressed with the resiliency of FreeNAS and looking forward to learning more.

Future plans are to play around with an LSI controller and an 8-drive SAS backplane that came out of an old server. I have to fab a custom power cable for the backplane. Which is what brought me to registering on the forum. I want to document my discoveries for others, because it took a lot of failed searching before I just took my own measurements from the original server to figure out the pinouts.

System:
- ASUS M5A97 LE 2.0 (bios v. 2601) w/ 32GB (DDR3-1333MHz) - still haven't gotten around to flashing bios.
- AMD FX 4100 Quad-Core
- Boot drive: PNY 32GB USB
- Pool: RAIDZ2, Qty-6, Seagate 500GB spin (old laptop drives)

Appreciate everyone's contribution to the forum that has gotten me this far, and I hope to reciprocate in kind for others.

Thanks,
Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.