Hello from Missouri!

Jethro_G

Cadet
Hello everyone. My name is Jeff. I am new to FreeNAS. I have been a system administrator for over 18 years. Mainly Windows based servers.

Had played with FreeBSD years ago, but never really had the time to dig in and learn it. Then tried Ubuntu a few years back but just din't stick it (again timing). Decided it was time again this fall so I got back into learning Linux & BSD.

Since October I have built about a dozen various VMs of different Linux distros, two CentOS laptops, a Raspberry Pi with my daughter, two production pfSense firewalls. This last month I decided to build my own NAS (never had one before). After researching the various options, I decided on FreeNAS.

So in mid-Dec I built my first box. The USB drive it was running on failed about a week later. So... I learned how to rebuild and re-add the pools, groups, users and shares. It was actually a really fun and good learning experience. It forced me to get into the forums (thanks much for the great help BTW), and the guide. Of course now I have a backup of my config. LOL

I will be rebuilding again tomorrow to switch from a USB boot drive to SSD.

Here is the setup:
IBM x3650 M3 Chassis
CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X5650 @ 2.67GHz (24 cores)
MEMORY: 132GiB
OS-Drive: 8GiB USB (for now, switching to an SSD today)
Drives: 15 x 10kRPM 1TB SAS - RAIDZ1
NIC: Broadcom NetXtreme Quad port Gigabit