Hardware Compatability - HP Proliant Micro Server N36L - Install Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Au_Squirrel

Cadet
I recently bought a HP Proliant Micro Server and have been trying to install FreeNas on it without success. I am first checking the hardware compatability of the system before looking at any installation issues.

The specs of the server are:

Processor Dual Core 1.3 GHz AMD Athlon II (Neo N36L) with 2 MB cache
Memory 2 Gb PC3-10600E DDR3, operating at maximum of 800 MHz -
Embedded SATA controller RAID 0/1
Software Version 8.0.2 amd
4G USB drive installed on MB expansion slot

Now reading the forums, over members have reported successfully installing FreeNas. Did you use the USD stick installation process? Did you have to do anything different from the normal installation process?

I have used that and the system is just cycling on boot up. The boot menu gives me the F1 FreeBSD, F2 FreeBSD, F5 Drive 1 menu, auto selects F1 and reboots.

Thanks

Au_squirrel

Au_Squirrel

Cadet
I found the problem(s) and now have the system working.

The root cause problem has not been determined. I made two changes. The first was to remove all the defined RAID arrays on the system and the second was to set the bios setting for the USB storage devices from Auto to HDD. This resolved the problem.

Hope this helps someone.

Milhouse

Guru
When you say "defined RAID arrays on the system", do you mean you created (defined) a RAID array using the onboard N36L RAID controller? Pound to a penny that would be the root cause...

Au_Squirrel

Cadet
Yes Milhouse, you are correct, that was what I meant. I had defined the four drives into two arrays using the on-board controller. Now I have removed them, all is working.

Thanks

Au_squirrel

neomon

Cadet
hello!

i tried to install the latest free nas x86 and x64 to my N36L, i tried many Usb Sticks and boot from cd but the server always reboots ....

i released the raid to single harddisks, unplugged the original 250gb hdd but i cant get it to load the freenas installer.....

anyone here who can help me?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
This is running fine on our N36L.

Code:
Build 	FreeNAS-8.3.1-RELEASE-p2-x64 (r12686+b770da6_dirty)
Platform 	AMD Athlon(tm) II Neo N36L Dual-Core Processor 

Is it possible you have some sort of hardware problem?

neomon

Cadet
hmm i dont know, im running windows server 2008 r2 without any problem on this device... now i tried to reinstall with freenas, but as i mentioned before, the installer wont load :(

Milhouse

Guru
hmm i dont know, im running windows server 2008 r2 without any problem on this device... now i tried to reinstall with freenas, but as i mentioned before, the installer wont load :(

Have you created the USB boot disk correctly? Is your donload corrupt (check the md5/sha1)? Have you fiddled with your BIOS settings (are your disks configured for RAID or AHCI)?

Basically it should work, barring user or hardware problems.

neomon

Cadet
i downloaded both isos for cd x86 and x64 and the usb boot iso... i tried to create it how it was described, the bios setting is raid, should i try ahci?.. ill try it...

edit: damn it seems that the raid setting in bios was the problem, now the iso boots!

thanks for your help

cyberjock

Inactive Account
The manual says to make sure to use AHCI settings in the BIOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.