Harddrive lost in ZFS storage volume.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a HUGE problem here.
6x3tb drives in a zfs cluster, 18tb of data seems lost.
Added a few pictures showing screen on freenas server.
It's been running for 3 years, without progblems.

Is there ANY way of recovering from this without loosing EVERYTHING?
If I'm able to recover my pictures and documents, I'm a happy man, movies, music, games and programs are downloadable, documents and pictures are not.

If I pull the disk from the server, it boots, but ZFS does not mount.
Any way of mounting without the disk to try to recover stuff?

And yes, it is a stupid thing going stripe mode/raid0.

Attachments

• 2014-08-05 07.42.05_resize.jpg
    2014-08-05 07.42.05_resize.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 217
Last edited:

sjieke

Contributor
I'm afraid you lost everything. A failed drive and no redundancy is unrecoverable. As far as I know, there aren't any recovery tools for ZFS...

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Just how "broken" is the broken disk? Does it spin at all?

There's like a 1% chance you'll ever see your data again. Shouldn't have done RAID0. :/

Just how "broken" is the broken disk? Does it spin at all?

There's like a 1% chance you'll ever see your data again. Shouldn't have done RAID0. :/

That's just it, the disk spins up fine, no smart errors or any other errors when in Ubuntu.
But, when freenas is trying to mount it the fun part begins.
Disk is Seagate.

I wish there was a way to mount the zfs and force-mount it without the "missing" drive, or mount it without any checks etc.
I'm also going to try another disk controller.
Might even put all disks in my other freenas server and try import there.

I have 15 years or so with pictures (about 14000) taken of family, friends and all......
The worst thing is the pictures :(

Starpulkka

Contributor
raid zero. zeriously man? But i have seen few times in this forum someone magically have pulled rabbit out of a hat. (Thats only reason im reading this forum, i like miracles). But math telss me that you only gonna get back some small files (documents) but not large files (pictures). But if it helps heres some music for you.
View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrzvAzLh7vs

cyberjock

Inactive Account
There's a chance I could perform miracles on this.. but it's not too likely. And it would definitely have to wait for the weekend. :P

danb35

Hall of Famer
I don't want to pile on here, but this is exactly the risk you took in setting up a six-disk striped pool. The failure of any single disk means, generally, that you lose ALL your data, since your files are broken into little bits and spread across all the disks. Great for performance, lousy for data security. ZFS will do absolutely nothing to help you in this scenario--it can't create data out of thin air. And, since you have six disks, the chance of one of them failing in any given period of time is six times greater than if you just had one disk. If you are able to recover any data at all, consider it a miracle. Then reconfigure your pool with some redundancy. And consider setting up backups (which, I'll admit, is a "do as I say, not as I do" proposition).

rs225

Guru
Hopefully cyberjock can do something... I would think about getting a replacement disk, and using ddrescue to attempt to copy as much of the failed/failing drive as possible.

danb35

Hall of Famer
...and to try to add something helpful... Does the system actually boot with the "bad" drive attached? Can you load the Web GUI, etc.? If so, we might be able to at least narrow down the problem a bit. If it will boot, provide the output of "zpool import" and "zpool status" from the shell.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Fred,

Few things:

1. You probably won't want to pay for my services. So you probably should just try the ddrescue and hope it works out. I can promise you that if you PM me and ask for the price you'll probably shit yourself. It is quite time consuming recovering pools and its not something that I make good money on. But considering how you went "cheap and dirty" with RAID0 I can guess you probably aren't going to be too thrilled with paying for recovery. Not to mention the fact that nobody can really guarantee recovery because there's no clear indicator as to how much data still exists to recover. If the data on the platters is obliterated that can be... unfortunate.
2. If you do get your pool back you're going to need enough storage space to copy all of your data that you want to keep off the pool. The pool will never be usable as a normal file system again. So you might want to start pricing out more disks. ;)
3. Better explain to the wife/girlfriend why you lost the pictures and you need the cash for RAIDZ2!

...and to try to add something helpful... Does the system actually boot with the "bad" drive attached? Can you load the Web GUI, etc.? If so, we might be able to at least narrow down the problem a bit. If it will boot, provide the output of "zpool import" and "zpool status" from the shell.

System does not boot with the drive attached, I have however not tried booting without the drive to disable automount and reboot.

Fred,

Few things:

1. You probably won't want to pay for my services. So you probably should just try the ddrescue and hope it works out. I can promise you that if you PM me and ask for the price you'll probably shit yourself. It is quite time consuming recovering pools and its not something that I make good money on. But considering how you went "cheap and dirty" with RAID0 I can guess you probably aren't going to be too thrilled with paying for recovery. Not to mention the fact that nobody can really guarantee recovery because there's no clear indicator as to how much data still exists to recover. If the data on the platters is obliterated that can be... unfortunate.
2. If you do get your pool back you're going to need enough storage space to copy all of your data that you want to keep off the pool. The pool will never be usable as a normal file system again. So you might want to start pricing out more disks. ;)
3. Better explain to the wife/girlfriend why you lost the pictures and you need the cash for RAIDZ2!

I've done quite a few recoveries myself, both on windows and linux filesystems, but not on freenas in any way.
I have 3 or 4 2TB disks lying around, so I can actually recover a few TB of data, that is the most important data :D
Lucky me, it was mostly my own pictures, not gf's pictures, well, just a few of hers.

Status
Not open for further replies.