Can't import my Online zfs volume

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boby2000

Cadet
Due to a recent power lost I wasn't able to boot FreeNAS (9.3). It wasn't able to mount my volume "Multimedia".

I tried many things and I can't import my volume anymore can anyone help ?

What I have tried:
  • Web Gui, auto import volume => panics and end up with that "db> promt"
  • zpool import (with all the options you can think of, including -f and -nfF) => in all cases, a bunch of writing appears on the console and suddently, the NAS reboot itself without mounting the volume
  • Install FreeNAS in a VM using VMWare (nothing configure, just a fresh install with 4GB of RAM) and retried the above steps => Same result

Here is the output of "zpool import" (note that it is DEGRADED since I removed a disk in the mirror so I don't lose all my data by doing something stupid, but when both disks are connected, state is ONLINE)

pool: Multimedia
id: 18149235844282812527
state: DEGRADED
action: The pool can be imported despite missing or damaged devices. The
fault tolerance of the pool may be compromised if imported.
see: http://illumos.org/msg/ZFS-8000-EY
config:

Multimedia DEGRADED
mirror-0 DEGRADED
gptid/283af84b-3e7b-11e3-b491-0013d478a100 ONLINE
14043342667207893357 UNAVAIL cannot open

Does someone have an idea ? (Except telling me to restore from backup, wich I don't have... I know, I know...)

Apollo

Wizard
RAM is not the issue.
Reinstall freenas on USB key, do not import your volume yet. Make sure you are doing this on a proper hardware, not VM.
Update Freenas to latest through GUI.
Then when everything is fine reboot wait for frenas to be up and running.
Install your volume and import.

It is possible your volume has been corrupted. But the db freeze I have seen are related to system trying to boot form data volume I think.

Boby2000

Cadet
I went at a friend's and we installed FreeNAS (fresh install with the iso from the FreeNAS' web page) on his PC (8GB RAM, so RAM is no issue here) and it still gave me the same panic state and reboot...

Btw, I also did a MemTest and no errors were found on my machine

Last edited:

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I went at a friend's and we installed FreeNAS (fresh install with the iso from the FreeNAS' web page) on his PC (8GB RAM, so RAM is no issue here) and it still gave me the same panic state and reboot...

Btw, I also did a MemTest and no errors were found on my machine

Ok. Installing it on a "PC" doesn't tell us a darn thing about how appropriate the hardware is. So I won't even touch that.

If a pool is failing to import and crashing the system, that usually means a corrupted zpool. I'm not going to theorize what may or may not have happened to your pool because you aren't providing anywhere near the level of detail required to even give a cogent theory. BUT, I will say that since you mentioned trying it in a VM with 4GB of RAM, I'm inclined to say this is user-induced. Not only is using FreeNAS in a VM a *very well documented* way to ruin pools permanently, using less than 8GB of RAM is known to ruin pools too.

So overall, my vote is user-induced, likely due to lack of attention to detail with ZFS in regards to using appropriate hardware and following recommended best practices.

Status
Not open for further replies.