Getting Unknown relocation type 3f in PLT error on Installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sanjay

Cadet
Hi,
I am new to this forum. I have used FreeNAS 8.0 in the past. I tried installing FreeNAS 9.10.1-U2 on an old Dell R710 server which has a SAS 6 IR hba card and has 6 SATA drives on the backplane of 2 TB each. It has 12gb DIMM, 2 dual Xeon processor of 2ghz each, 4 Ethernet ports. Server is old but in good condition. Sata drives are brand new. There is no RAID configuration. Every time I try installing FreeNAS the installer aborts giving the message Unknown relocation type 3f in PLT. I just don't know how to move ahead. Can anybody help me sort out this problem?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Screen capture of that moment please.

You can also try to remove any nonessential hardware from the server, to try and isolate the issue.

Sanjay

Cadet
Screen capture of that moment please.

You can also try to remove any nonessential hardware from the server, to try and isolate the issue.
Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I am attaching the screenshot of the initial error. When I press any key to continue I get the Install/Upgrade screen again. If I select this option now and retry then I get another message which says Gpart is not ready and that the device da0 is busy. I am quite clueless as to why this is happening.

I have tried isolating the issue by removing all SATA drives but one there is no difference. I have also tried using another Dell R710 server with a different configuration that has two SAS hard drives. I get the same error on that server also.

Do you think patching the bios, controller firmware with the latest updates would help? This is one thing that I have not tried.

Regards,
Sanjay

Attachments

• Initial_Error.jpg
    599.6 KB · Views: 372
  • Retry_Error.jpg
    479.5 KB · Views: 386
S

sef

You appear to be doing a UEFI install. Make sure you do a BIOS install, and see if that improves it.

Sanjay

Cadet
You appear to be doing a UEFI install. Make sure you do a BIOS install, and see if that improves it.

Hi SEF,

Thanks for your mail. I have done all installations using BIOS not using UFEI for GPT. I have tried doing installation on a single hard drive. I have tried doing installation on a Flash drive. Nothing works I get the same error "Unknown relocation type 3f in PLT."all the time. Sometimes, the value (3f) written alongside PLT keeps changing. Sometimes its zero sometimes its another figure in Hex notation.

By the way I have tried installing Windows and Linux on this server. These install and run fine. So the hardware is working fine. I have tried installing FreeNAS on other Dell R710 Servers. I get the same issue there also. Therefore the issue is only with FreeNAS. Is it possible that FreeNAS has an issue with the controller? All Dell hardware ship with the same controllers. I have used Dell SAS 6 IR controller with only supports RAID0 and RAID1. I have used Dell PERC 5 controller which supports other forms of RAID. Of course RAID was not enabled at any stage for FreeNAS installation.

I have another thing to report, when I try installing the latest stable build of FreeNAS 9.10.1-U4 the installer suddenly starts giving the message on some install.sh stating that the media is read only. Well CD media is supposed to be read-only. This happens at the last stage before getting the Install/Update TUI interface. This is even more weird.

S

sef

You have not "done all installations using BIOS not using UFEI", as the first screenshot clearly shows. The second screenshot error is because you have to reboot and do the installation again due to something (I forget what) grabbing one of the partitions and not letting go.

Sanjay

Cadet
You have not "done all installations using BIOS not using UFEI", as the first screenshot clearly shows. The second screenshot error is because you have to reboot and do the installation again due to something (I forget what) grabbing one of the partitions and not letting go.

Hi SEF,

Please dont be guided by the error message. I dont even know why that kind of a message was being shown. At no given stage was the UFEI ever enabled. All installs were BIOS based. You get that message on BIOS install. FreeNAS just does not install on this hardware.

Regards

S

sef

You are wrong. And since you won't admit it, there's nothing that can be done to help you.

Sanjay

Cadet
You are wrong. And since you won't admit it, there's nothing that can be done to help you.

Hi SEF,

Please dont make this personal. I do know the difference between GPT and Non GPT. At present there is only one hard drive of 2 TB. Boot is set to BIOS. Install is being done to a usb storage of 16Gb and still I get the same error message.

These really are the facts.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Status
Not open for further replies.