Getting more and more frustrated. Intelligent Newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
It's pretty sad that all my Linux machines can easily see all the windows boxes via NetBIOS, yet the windows machines are sporadic...

burkeam

Dabbler
Well I got everything working so far and was just a problem of not knowing to map it through file explorer \\freenas. Thanks for the dialog.

to newbies don't use browser but file explorer. type "\\freenas" -default name then select to map that drive to a letter. Open the path and make sure the permission or set by trying to create a new folder.

Now onto a good way of doing backup from win8.1 to freenas. Is see some older post from eric and pirate. What have you two found to effectively backing up win 8.1 PC to freenas. I'm looking to 1. do a data backup of my docs and a few other at a 1-2 week interval. 2. then image my op sys sshd drive. 3. finally copy files from a networked seagate nas directly to the freenas. When I copy from one to the other it using resouces like it is going through pc which is a bottle neck @5.5mb sec?

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
I think Windows 8+ got rid of the old Windows 7 backup and restore option.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/what-happened-to-backup-restore

I use deltacopy on my windows machines, and native rsync on my linux boxes to backup all my user profiles in the house to my FreeNAS box.

I don't understand your third question. If you are using your computer to copy from one nas to another, it has to go through your computer to transfer it. It doesn't magically see the other system and transfer directly.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Well I got everything working so far and was just a problem of not knowing to map it through file explorer \\freenas. Thanks for the dialog.

to newbies don't use browser but file explorer. type "\\freenas" -default name then select to map that drive to a letter. Open the path and make sure the permission or set by trying to create a new folder.

Now onto a good way of doing backup from win8.1 to freenas. Is see some older post from eric and pirate. What have you two found to effectively backing up win 8.1 PC to freenas. I'm looking to 1. do a data backup of my docs and a few other at a 1-2 week interval. 2. then image my op sys sshd drive. 3. finally copy files from a networked seagate nas directly to the freenas. When I copy from one to the other it using resouces like it is going through pc which is a bottle neck @5.5mb sec?

Backup from Windows 8? File history to a CIFS share.

The old Windows 7 option is still available and works just like it did before, but is somewhat hidden away as "image-based backup" or whatever. Personally, File History makes more sense for me anyway, since I generally take the opportunity to do a fresh install.

rogerh

Guru
I don't understand your third question. If you are using your computer to copy from one nas to another, it has to go through your computer to transfer it. It doesn't magically see the other system and transfer directly.

Unless he uses SSH or something to arrange the transfer. That is using his computer in a sense!

burkeam

Dabbler
I was looking not to use my computer for the transfer. I would rather see the FreeNAS processor to do the magic so my laptop doesn't need to be tied up for 18hour

rogerh

Guru
I was looking not to use my computer for the transfer. I would rather see the FreeNAS processor to do the magic so my laptop doesn't need to be tied up for 18hour
You can log into the FreeNAS computer via SSH from your laptop, set up an rsync transfer from FreeNAS to the other NAS, but precede the rsync command (when you have worked it out) with tmux, so that you can disconnect the laptop without interrupting the rsync process.

burkeam

Dabbler
OK I couldn't get rsync on the seagate 4tb cloud. It's not a true nas OS. Using the desktop to do the transfers.

My work laptop with win8.1pro needed to be mapped to use my nas shared folders and everything is working fine. However on the Desktop with win8.1 it see my shared folders on the network without mapping - which is nice.

Any thoughts as window setting allowing a non pro-version to see the folder on the network it but not the pro. Another peice of info, the desktop is always wired whereas the laptop is typically wireless.

Thanks again for helping out the newbie
Burle

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
OK I couldn't get rsync on the seagate 4tb cloud. It's not a true nas OS. Using the desktop to do the transfers.

My work laptop with win8.1pro needed to be mapped to use my nas shared folders and everything is working fine. However on the Desktop with win8.1 it see my shared folders on the network without mapping - which is nice.

Any thoughts as window setting allowing a non pro-version to see the folder on the network it but not the pro. Another peice of info, the desktop is always wired whereas the laptop is typically wireless.

Thanks again for helping out the newbie
Burle
It has nothing to do with Pro or not.

gpsguy

My *guess* is that you are logged in using a cached AD account on your work laptop and a "workgroup" account on your home computer.

burkeam

Dabbler
OK, I've been out of town and got back to do some more testing. I can easily see the nas while wired however on wireless I need to map the drive. Any ideas on a TPlink or wireless setting on the PC that would cause this?

Thanks in advance
Burke

gpsguy

Have you read our replies and what I wrote in reply #31.

burkeam

Dabbler
Yes I did, sorry.
1st of all I don't know what you mean by a cached AD account.
2nd I use the same login credential on bot computers
3rd I have no workgroup setup

I tested the laptop by plugging it into the Ethernet and everything is fine.

Thanks

gpsguy

AD is shorthand for Active Directory.

While your username and password on your work laptop may appear to be the same as your home computer - internally the account used on your work laptop was probably configured in Active Directory.

Do some reading on the subject.

Sent from my phone

burkeam

Dabbler
Thanks GPS. I have read a little on AD and I don't think I have it set up on my NAS. I'll be back in town and check it out Thursday as I don't have it setup for remote yet. I still don't understand why this would make a difference when using the laptop wireless on the network. With wireless I need to map a drive to the NAS directory however just plugging the laptop into the Ethernet LAN and I see everything via network and the NAS is fully browse able. The NAS is fully open/public - no login needed.

Burke

gpsguy

I'm sure you don't have AD configured on FreeNAS. But, my guess, is that your office uses it and your work laptop is configured to use it.

What's the big deal about having to map a drive? I probably have to login to computers, servers, etc. at least 25 times a day. Every time I leave the confines of my office at work, I "lock" my computer.

You could probably create a batch file to map the drive, using the "net use" command and pass your username & password. Not secure, but should work. See -
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb490717.aspx

burkeam

Dabbler
You are missing what I am saying. When I use the laptop hardwire it show up as my network and the mapped drive. When it is wireless it is only the mapped. When it is mapped it doesn't always connect quickly on the wireless. Feel free to enjoy logging in 25 times aday. That does not apply here. Mapping the drive does mot solve the underlying issue. Fyi it is a home network.

Burke

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
You are missing what I am saying. When I use the laptop hardwire it show up as my network and the mapped drive. When it is wireless it is only the mapped. When it is mapped it doesn't always connect quickly on the wireless. Feel free to enjoy logging in 25 times aday. That does not apply here. Mapping the drive does mot solve the underlying issue. Fyi it is a home network.

Burke
Then you have a problem with your WiFi, not a FreeNAS issue.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Sounds like a NetBIOS issue. Not much you can do about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.