Getting more and more frustrated. Intelligent Newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

rogerh

Guru
Sounds like a NetBIOS issue. Not much you can do about that.

I tried running one of my Samba machines as a WINS server, and telling all the others to use it: it doesn't help, much. What I admire is the sheer, apparently non-deterministic, unpredictability of Netbios from one day to the next.

Edit: today, all 6 of my netbios machines and an AFP shared host alias are showing up at once in Finder, without looking for them. This is unusual.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I tried running one of my Samba machines as a WINS server, and telling all the others to use it: it doesn't help, much. What I admire is the sheer, apparently non-deterministic, unpredictability of Netbios from one day to the next.

Edit: today, all 6 of my netbios machines and an AFP shared host alias are showing up at once in Finder, without looking for them. This is unusual.

Yeah, NetBIOS seems to come out in the Spring. The other day I realized that NetBIOS discovery was suddenly working perfectly on my workstation, after many months of not working, across OSes and network setups. :p

9C1 Newbee

Patron
To me, it seems networking is a mystical beast nobody quite knows how to tame. You may be able to make it jump through a ring of fire one day. But it mauls you to death the next for some unknown reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.