FreNAS with Win7 Ultimate vs Win7Pro SP1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sgregory

Contributor
Ok I have a freeNAS server running 9.2.1.5 x64. In my WIN7 Ultimate machines I can see CIFS shares and ping it without an issue almost every time. (except when I screw it up). With my 2 WIN7 Professional machines I cant even ping it, although the netBIOS (I assume) allows me to see it in Windows Explorer.
I Use BIND in pfsense for DNS and the arp table is correct in Ultimate but not in Professional machines. I do have the freeNAS set up as a static, so I assume that I have something screwed up. However my virtual is set up the same and works flawlessly. This problem keeps popping up. It works great on the pro machines for a day to weeks and then won't work for a day to weeks. Seems to have a bit of temperment.

Being a noob, please let me know what you would like me to post to see what I screwed up. Even though I have searched for the answer in the forums and in Google, I am sure that it skipped off my forehead. I am not a trained IT guy but am pretty quick when given a nudge. Please point me to possible solutions.

My Pool IS backed up!

sgregory

Contributor
Solved!

Not an issue with freeNAS or Windows other than leaving a question as to why one worked and the other didn't.
What happened is that I originally set up the system months ago with a LAGG using 4 Gb nics. I wasn't able to keep it stable so I dropped one and it worked. 4 was over kill anyway, actually three is too but it works. About a month ago I started setting up a freePBX box and used the free cable from the fourth nic for that box.
At the switch, I pulled the extra cable from the LAGG port and put it to another port so it could be used for the freePBX. I pulled the wrong patch cord and as a result I had my freePBX connection talking within the Switch's LAGG interface. And the freeNAS box talking on both inside and out of the switch LAGG interface. How it worked at all I do not know. Why Win7Ultimate was able to resolve and communicate while the Win7Pro version couldn't except periodically I can't say.

Hind sight is 20/20 however and looking back at when the problems started to pop up it seemed to be around the time I was playing with the freePBX box. After cleaning up the cables, (yes they were labeled well and correctly, just careless system admin) everything is stable again including DNS lookup. In fact the system is running amazingly fast for all users now. That had to be some messy communication going on within the network. Since I am an amateur at this I didn't put all the clues together, especially with the network working one second and not the next. I'll put this into the experience bucket.

Status
Not open for further replies.