FreeNAS Plex plugin not allowing me to add folders.

johno4321

Cadet
commenting for others trying to get this working. +1 for @boomeradf solution. changing the ACL's in Windows worked for me. the problem isn't the Freenas SMB shares, the Plex plugin or Windows - its how all three things work together.

BeAtS

Cadet
So, I'm new to the Freenas community and have setup Plex Media Server in a seperate jail and created the mount points. I followed the guid to create the user "plex" with UID 972 outside of the jail and set it as Owner of the dataset containing the media.

This worked, plex can read the data and add it to its library, the owner of the directories/files is set to Plex.
BUT, when I add new content through SMB share on Windows, ie. download something and move it to the share(dataset), the owner of the directory/file is root. Plex does not see this new content and will not add it.

Output of getfacl on the dataset in Freenas:
root@freenas[~]# getfacl /mnt/DATA/DATA
# file: /mnt/DATA/DATA
# owner: plex
# group: wheel
owner@:rwxpDdaARWcCos:fd-----:allow
group@:rwxpDdaARWcCos:fd-----:allow
user:beats:rwxpDdaARWcCos:fd-----:allow
everyone@:--------------:fd-----:allow

Output of the getfacl inside the jail mountpoint:
root@Plex:/mnt # getfacl X264
# file: X264
# owner: plex
# group: wheel
owner@:rwxpDdaARWcCos:fd----I:allow
group@:rwxpDdaARWcCos:fd----I:allow
user:1001:rwxpDdaARWcCos:fd----I:allow
everyone@:--------------:fd----I:allow

So, plex is owner on both sides, but still it cannot read content uploaded through the SMB share on my windows desktop.

I've got some very good news. I just recently got back from being out of the country for a couple of months and decided try and solve this again. I did try to add read permission via setfacl. But that didn't work, so I used the -b and got rid of everything. Then I tried the chmod command. Again did not work. Long story short I removed the main Windows SMB share and made a new one. After that I changed the dataset (in pools) to a Unix ACL type. Then adding Read/Write access to everyone in permissions, I was able to add the mount points in the Plex Jail. When I created a new library in the Plex Gui the folder was accessible and I was able to add my media and access everything on windows. Restarted the system, everything works perfectly. I guess if some people have the same problem and nothing you do works try changing your dataset to a Unix type ACL.