Media permissions in jail

rtuite

Dabbler
I'm finally getting Plex to cooperate, except now I can't add media. I created several directories using the shell access from the jail interface for the various types of media (movies, music, etc) and mounted the relevant folders there using the "mount points" in the plugin interface.

However, when I go to add media as I'm creating a library, all the mounts are grayed out...
1589990786648.png

I see it's a permission issue, and I've read that I need to have the Plex user account on both the jail and the base Freenas system have the same UserID... here's what I'm running into. I tried using the Jail terminal interface to change the plex ID with usermod -u 1001 plex. However, it tells me that "usermod" is not a recognized command.

I also tried SSH directly to the device, but it tells me that no changes made there are going to persist on a reboot, and to make those changes through the GUI, but there is no option to change that in the GUI.

There are other things suggested such as modifying the permissions from Windows properties (didn't work) or giving "everyone" full permissions (not happening).

So, I'm back to square one. I have no clue how to give the jail user permissions to view data on the NAS.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
In the jail, try rmuser plex, and then adduser -u 1001 -s nologin plex.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
The last time I used the Plex plugin, the UID for plex was 972. You could also create a plex user and group on the host system, with that UID/GID, and change the ownership of your media folder appropriately.