Need Someone to Double Check Me, Layout and Permissions-wise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Celt

Dabbler
I've read through the user guide, and have read through an appreciable amount of the posts in this subforum. I learn best by doing and repeating my steps to those in the know and taking correction on them, so here it goes:

The Setup:

FreeNAS in my sig is the hardware. On it I currently have Plex installed as a plugin. I also have NextCloud installed.

I have no media files on the NAS yet, as I'm still trying to figure out permissions that would allow me to use FTP to upload to the NAS from a Windows machine that is currently hosting all of my media files. Once the media files are uploaded, my intention is to have the NAS accessible (in a read/write capacity) from the Windows desktop, and accessible (in a read capacity) from anything running a Plex app, to include 3 Roku's hooked up to TVs.

I currently have one user (besides root) created on the NAS.

What I want as far as permissions:

One central repository of data. Plex in a jail, and NextCloud in a jail, able to access it.

My (very weak) understanding of the permissions needed: root can continue to own everything. I can create users that read/right access to everything that root owns? Conversely, I can create a group that has all the permissions and include and exclude users as needed?

Plex creates users that can access it. I'm assuming that those permissions would be handled inside of the Plex server itself and FreeNAS wouldn't care so long as the Plex Server had permissions to all of the media files.

How am I coming so far? Is there any screen caps you would want to see to try to help get this set up?

D

dlavigne

Were you able to configure this? Did it work as expected?

nojohnny101

Wizard
root can continue to own everything.
Yes, root can always access everything. The root account should never be used for accessing shares. Root is for admin purposes and really should not be used for any other tasks (like accessing directories/files).

I can create users that read/right access to everything that root owns?
Yes, but don't know why you would want to do that. You could accomplish this through group permissions and give that any user in the group full permissions. But again, not sure why you would want do this.

Conversely, I can create a group that has all the permissions and include and exclude users as needed?
Yes.

Plex creates users that can access it. I'm assuming that those permissions would be handled inside of the Plex server itself and FreeNAS wouldn't care so long as the Plex Server had permissions to all of the media files.
Not exactly, I think the words you are looking for are "inside the plex jail". Every jail you create has its own set of users and groups. You have to create equivalent users in FreeNAS that match the users in the plex jail (matching the UID and GID). Then the dataset that want plex to have access to, you can either make the owner of that dataset user "plex" (the one created in the FreeNAS GUI that matches the user created in the plex jail) or you can accomplish it with the a group, "plex" (the one that you create in the FreeNAS GUI that matches the group created within the plex jail).

I'm not sure how you setup your plex jail, but this is the guide that I have used many times to get mine up and running:
https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...to-install-plex-in-a-freenas-11-0-jail.19412/

Note this is to create a warden based jail which is going to eventually be depreciated. Your jails won't stop working, bu with future updates (starting in 11.2 supposedly) you won't be able to create warden based jails from the GUI anymore.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.