FreeNas GUI Query, Automate Installation, Configuration Backup

ezhiltcl

Dabbler
Hi All,

We are using FreeNAS for our Serverpack35 devices. We need your help and support to clarify some doubts.
  1. Can we configure GUI for multiple users and give respective role and permission to them?
  2. How to automate the FreeNAS installation and Configuration?
  3. How to take a backup of FreeNAS Configuration?
We need your input and valuable support from iXsystems and iXsystems community

I think I can answer 1 and 3:
1. I do not think that this is possible. There are posts on how the GUI login is restricted to one user - root - and this cannot be readily changed. Even putting a user in the same groups are root does not work. Of course, you likely can hack the code to change this but it would put you in what is likely an unsupported configuration.
3. This is in the GUI - here is one example https://pureinfotech.com/backup-restore-config-file-freenas/

Of course, I'm new to this and could be wrong :)

ezhiltcl

Dabbler
I think I can answer 1 and 3:
1. I do not think that this is possible. There are posts on how the GUI login is restricted to one user - root - and this cannot be readily changed. Even putting a user in the same groups are root does not work. Of course, you likely can hack the code to change this but it would put you in what is likely an unsupported configuration.
3. This is in the GUI - here is one example https://pureinfotech.com/backup-restore-config-file-freenas/

Of course, I'm new to this and could be wrong :)

Hi @Newfoundland.Republic ,

Thanks for your response to my query.

thanks for your support for option 3. Your URL resetting the HTTP web configuration only. we require all-configuration backup.

I keep searching for option 1, 2 &3 we can wait for others and another update.

@dlavigne - Ohhh... Yeah! I just installed it. Very, VERY nice! (Even for one FreeNAS installation!) Thanks for the info!

kenmoore

TrueCommand Project Lead
iXsystems
1. TrueCommand was designed from the ground-up to manage FreeNAS/TrueNAS systems in a multi-user / multi-system environment with things like permission controls, audit logs, and more. So this is definitely the way to go if you need to manage user access for a bunch of sysadmins.
2. We don't have anything on the TrueCommand roadmap for automating the deployment/installation of FreeNAS/TrueNAS systems, but we do have a lot of configuration options and multi-system management solutions in the works right now.
3. The ability to have TrueCommand automatically backup system configurations and let you re-deploy those configurations to systems actually just finished getting added to the upcoming TrueCommand version 1.1

Glad you are enjoying using TrueCommand! We have a lot of great updates and new features on the way, so stay tuned for release announcements and additional information!

ezhiltcl

Dabbler
1. TrueCommand was designed from the ground-up to manage FreeNAS/TrueNAS systems in a multi-user / multi-system environment with things like permission controls, audit logs, and more. So this is definitely the way to go if you need to manage user access for a bunch of sysadmins.
2. We don't have anything on the TrueCommand roadmap for automating the deployment/installation of FreeNAS/TrueNAS systems, but we do have a lot of configuration options and multi-system management solutions in the works right now.
3. The ability to have TrueCommand automatically backup system configurations and let you re-deploy those configurations to systems actually just finished getting added to the upcoming TrueCommand version 1.1

Glad you are enjoying using TrueCommand! We have a lot of great updates and new features on the way, so stay tuned for release announcements and additional information!

Thanks @kenmoore ,

@kenmoore - thanks for the great work. Nicely done!